1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Form of equation for a Circle

1. Jul 24, 2007 #1
    I was helping my girlfriend earlier with some HW and now I don't have her text (since she is not here) but I have a question regarding circles.
    I did not cover a lot of this material in precalc. and only recall the Standard Form of an equation: x^2+y^2=r^2.

So my question is: if given the equation in General Form, and I wish to know the radius, is the following procedure (completing the square) correct?

Given x^2+y^2+ax+by+c=0

x^2+ax+y^2+by+c=o
    x^2+ax+(a/2)^2+y^2+by+(b/2)^2+c=(a/2)^2+(b/2)^2
    (x+a/2)^2+(y+b/2)^2=(a/2)^2+(b/2)^2-c

so r=sqrt((a/2)^2+(b/2)^2-c)

is this correct?
    thanks,
    Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep, it is correct - and a nice way to do it too.

Another way to derive this is as follows: the equation of a circle with radius r and center point ([itex]x_0[/itex], [itex]y_0[/itex]) is [tex](x - x_0)^2 + (y - y_0)^2 = r^2[/tex]. Working out the brackets gives [tex]x^2 - 2 x_0 x + x_0^2 + y^2 - 2 y_0 y + y_0^2 - r^2 = 0[/tex]. Now if we compare to your formula [tex]x^2 + y^2 + a x + b y + c = 0[/tex] we read off that
    [tex]a = -2 x_0, b = 2 y_0, c = x_0^2 + y_0^2 - r^2[/tex]
    whence solving for r gives
    [tex] r^2 = x_0^2 + y_0^2 - c [/tex] and you get the same formula (you can substitute -a/2 for [itex]x_0[/itex] and drop the minus since it's squared anyway, and similarly for -b/2).

4. Jul 24, 2007 #3
    Nice. Thank you CompuChip.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?