1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Question about circuits

1. Nov 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a general question concerning circuits. I am a bit confused as to how to determine when the current is negative. For instance, on circuit diagrams, we are shown arrows that indicate the positive direction of current. Then, when we open the switch on the circuit, the current through an inductor all of a sudden turns negative. I thought that such a discontinuous change was not possible. In general, how can I determine when the sign of the current turns negative?

2. Relevant equations
    See Above

3. The attempt at a solution
    See Above

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not the current that all of a sudden turns negative through an inductor when a switch gets opened. Just the opposite: If current flowed through a coil earlier, and we break the circuit so the current would cease, an induced electromotive force appears in the coil which maintains the current for a while: opposes the change of current. (Lenz's Law) Sometimes you even see a spark when you plug out a heater or hair-dryer from the socket.

ehild

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted