1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Relativity and the Circumference of a Circle

1. Jan 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the circumference of the circle θ = θ0 (a constant) in the spatial geometry

\begin{eqnarray*}
    dS^2 = a^2(d\theta^2 + sin^2\theta cos^2\theta d\phi^2)
    \end{eqnarray*}
    Hence, (by finding R(z)) sketch the cross section of the surface embedded in three dimensions via
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    (x, y, z) = (Rsin\theta cos\phi, Rsin\theta sin\phi, Rcos\theta)
    \end{eqnarray*}
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Calculating the circum:
    Parameterising the path set φ = τ, where τ1 = 0 and τ2 =2π, and θ = θ0 (const.)
    so
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    circumference = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{dS}{d\tau}d\tau = \int_{0}^{2\pi} a((\frac{d\theta}{d\tau})^2 + sin^2\theta cos^2\theta (\frac{d\phi}{d\tau})^2)^{1/2} d\tau
    \end{eqnarray*}
    using the parametrisation we get:
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    circumference: \int_{0}^{2\pi} a sin\theta_0 cos\theta_0 d\tau = 2\pi a sin\theta_0 cos\theta_0 = \pi a sin2\theta_0
    \end{eqnarray*}

I'm not at all sure what the next part is getting at. I've played around with rearranging z=Rcosθ and plugging this in for theta in metric but I don't think that's right.

Any help would be great appreciated, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2017 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Does this help? Figure out how ##R## varies with ##\theta_0##.
    gr.png

4. Jan 3, 2017 #3
    Thank you for your reply!
    I found the radius R to be R=aθ0 by parameterising the theta part this time and integrating up to θ0. And I think by using the z=Rcosθ definition we get that at θ=0 z=R, and at θ=θ0 z=Rcosθ0.

I may be wrong but I think the radius perpendicular = a/2 sin 2θ0 from dividing the circumference by 2π so there's a relation that
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    z^2 + r(perp)^2 = R^2
    \end{eqnarray*}
    I may be barking up the wrong tree here, thanks again!

5. Jan 3, 2017 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##R## is the distance from the origin to a point on the surface whereas ##a\theta_0## is the arc length of between ##\theta=0## and ##\theta=\theta_0## on a curve of constant ##\varphi## on the surface. It doesn't make sense to set those two quantities equal.

That's right. If you use ##z=R\cos\theta_0##, everything will be in terms of ##R## and ##\theta_0##, so you can get an expression for ##R## in terms of ##\theta_0##. Ideally, you'll recognize what shape it describes. If not, try plotting it or reviewing curves in polar coordinates.

6. Jan 4, 2017 #5
    If I plug all the things in I get R = a cosθ0, but i'm not sure how this helps. I am probably wrong but I think it may be like an infinity shape on the z axis, similar to the spherical harmonics in atoms?

7. Jan 4, 2017 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's right. Did you make a polar plot of ##(R,\theta_0)##? You could also multiply both sides by ##R## and then convert to Cartesian coordinates to verify your hunch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted