General Simplification of (1+x)/(1-x)

• Thread starter remorris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
This is the same as the original numerator so you can now write (1-x)/(1+x) = (1+x)/(1+x) - (2/(x+1)) = 1 - (2/(x+1)) = (2/(x+1)) - 1.In summary, the expression (1-x)/(1+x) is equivalent to (2/(x+1)) - 1 via various methods such as writing 1-x as -x-1+2 and simplifying, using polynomial long division, or replacing 1 with (1+x)/(1+x) and simplifying.
remorris
I know that (1-x)/(1+x) is equivalent to (2/(x+1)) - 1 via 'hand waving' in my textbook but i cannot figure out the steps to arrive at this result. Suggestions??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can write 1-x as -x-1+2=-(x+1)+2 and simplify.
That is a usual trick for fractions like yours.

Neat Trick. Thanks!

remorris said:
I know that (1-x)/(1+x) is equivalent to (2/(x+1)) - 1 via 'hand waving' in my textbook but i cannot figure out the steps to arrive at this result. Suggestions??

mfb said:
You can write 1-x as -x-1+2=-(x+1)+2 and simplify.
That is a usual trick for fractions like yours.

An alternate approach is to divide - x + 1 by x + 1 using polynomial long division. If you don't know this technique, you can search Wikipedia using the search string "polynomial long division". Doing this, you get -1 + 2/(x + 1).

remorris said:

Yet another equivalent way to see this is to replace 1 by (1+x)/(1+x) and you now have a common denominator of 1 + x. Gathering terms in the numerator yields 1 - x.

What is the general formula for simplifying (1+x)/(1-x)?

The general formula for simplifying (1+x)/(1-x) is (1+x)*(1+x) / (1-x)*(1+x). This can be further simplified to (1+x)^2 / (1-x^2).

What is the main principle behind simplifying (1+x)/(1-x)?

The main principle behind simplifying (1+x)/(1-x) is to eliminate the fraction by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the same expression. This will result in a simpler expression without any fractions.

Can (1+x)/(1-x) be simplified further?

Yes, (1+x)/(1-x) can be simplified further by using algebraic identities such as (a+b)(a-b) = a^2 - b^2. This will result in the simplified form of 1 + 2x / (1-x^2).

What is the significance of simplifying (1+x)/(1-x)?

Simplifying (1+x)/(1-x) can help in solving equations and simplifying mathematical expressions. It can also help in understanding the relationship between the numerator and denominator in a fraction.

Are there any restrictions on the values of x in simplifying (1+x)/(1-x)?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x in simplifying (1+x)/(1-x). x cannot be equal to 1 or -1 as it will result in an undefined expression. Additionally, x cannot be equal to any value that would result in the denominator being equal to 0.