General solution of Schrodinger eq. proof

In summary, the conversation discusses showing that the linear combination c|\psi\rangle+c'|\psi'\rangle is a solution to the Schrodinger equation, where c and c' are arbitrary complex coefficients. This is done by calculating i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi''\rangle and verifying that it is equal to \hat{H}|\psi''\rangle, thus proving that |\psi''\rangle is a solution to the Schrodinger equation.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

Let [tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex] and [tex]|\psi '\rangle[/tex] be solutions to the same Schrodinger equation. Show than, that [tex]c|\psi\rangle+c'|\psi '\rangle[/tex] is the solution, where c and c' are arbitrary complex coefficients, for which holds: [tex]|c|^2+|c'|^2=1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now this follows from linearity of the Schrodinger equation (that every linear combination is the solution). But how to prove it directly?

I've started with:

[tex]i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi\rangle=\hat{H}|\psi\rangle[/tex]
[tex]i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi'\rangle=\hat{H}|\psi'\rangle[/tex]

And added them up:

[tex]i\hbar\left( \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi\rangle+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi'\rangle\right)=\hat{H}(|\psi\rangle+|\psi'\rangle)[/tex]

And... now I don't know what to do next :\

I think I'm taking the superposition principle way to lightly :\

Physics news on Phys.org
Call [tex]|\psi''\rangle=c|\psi\rangle+c'|\psi'\rangle[/tex]

Show that [tex]|\psi''\rangle[/tex] solves the Schrodinger equation. You will se that conditions on c and c' are irrelevant for this question.

Ok... but how? :\

Calculate

[tex]
i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi''\rangle
[/tex]

remembering that c and c' are constants, and see if it the same as [tex]\hat{H}|\psi''\rangle[/tex]

Ok so,

[tex]
i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi ''\rangle=\hat{H}|\psi ''\rangle
[/tex]

[tex]
i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi ''\rangle=i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left(c|\psi\rangle+c'|\psi'\rangle\right)=c\underbrace{i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi\rangle}+c'\underbrace{i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi'\rangle}=c\hat{H}|\psi\rangle+c'\hat{H}|\psi'\rangle=\hat{H}(c|\psi\rangle+c'|\psi'\rangle)=\hat{H}|\psi''\rangle
[/tex]

And that's it?

And that's it!

W00t! Thanks a lot :D

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It was developed by physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926 and is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

2. What is a general solution of the Schrodinger equation?

The general solution of the Schrodinger equation is a mathematical expression that describes the possible states of a quantum particle in a given system. It takes into account the particle's position, momentum, and energy, and is used to predict the probability of finding the particle in a particular state.

3. How is the general solution of the Schrodinger equation derived?

The general solution of the Schrodinger equation is derived using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and Fourier analysis. It involves solving a complex differential equation and applying boundary conditions to determine the specific form of the solution for a given system.

4. What is the significance of the general solution of the Schrodinger equation?

The general solution of the Schrodinger equation is significant because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum particles in a wide range of systems. It has applications in fields such as atomic and molecular physics, solid state physics, and quantum chemistry.

5. Are there any limitations to the general solution of the Schrodinger equation?

Yes, there are limitations to the general solution of the Schrodinger equation. It can only be applied to systems that are described by a time-independent potential. Additionally, it does not take into account relativistic effects and cannot be used to describe the behavior of particles with spin.