What is the Fermion's mass in this Lagrangian?

LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
We have a Lagrangian of the form:
$$

\mathcal{L} = \overline{\psi} i \gamma_{\mu} \partial^{\mu} \psi - g \left( \overline{\psi}_L \psi_R \phi + \overline{\psi}_R \psi_L \phi^* \right) + \mathcal{L}_{\phi} - V(|\phi|^2)

$$
Essentially, what we are studying is spontaneous symmetry breaking. First, we must find the minimum of $$V(|\phi|^2)$$ to determine the vacuum state. We obtain:
$$

\langle \phi \rangle = v = \sqrt{\frac{m^2}{\lambda}}

$$
Now, let's perform the following expansion:
$$

\phi = (v + h(r, t)) e^{-\frac{i \pi(r, t)}{f}}

$$
Now, the question arises: How do we find the mass of the "new particles," ##\pi## and ##h##? This part is straightforward. However, the challenge lies in determining the fermion mass, denoted as ##m_{\psi}##, and its coupling to ##\pi## and ##h##.

I assume that the only terms that matter in answering this question are:

$$

\overline{\psi} i \gamma_{\mu} \partial^{\mu} \psi - g \left( \overline{\psi}_L \psi_R \phi + \overline{\psi}_R \psi_L \phi^* \right)

$$
Now, let's expand this term as follows:
$$

\overline{\psi} i \gamma_{\mu} \partial^{\mu} \psi - g \left( \overline{\psi}_L \psi_R \left( (v + h) e^{i \frac{\pi}{f}} \right) + \overline{\psi}_R \psi_L \left( (v + h) e^{-i \frac{\pi}{f}} \right) \right)

$$
The challenge here is to determine the fermion mass. My idea is to write a Lagrangian equivalent to the Dirac Lagrangian, where the constant ##c## that should appear in the Lagrangian, i.e., ##c \overline{\psi} \psi##, represents the mass. However, I can't find such a term in the Lagrangian we have. To proceed, I first rewrite ##\psi_{L,R}## in terms of ##\psi## itself, resulting in:

$$

- g (v+h) \overline{\psi} \left( \cos\left(\frac{\pi}{f}\right) + i \gamma^5 \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{f}\right) \right) \psi

$$

Next, I expand the trigonometric expressions to obtain:

$$

g (v+h) \overline{\psi} \left( 1 - \frac{1}{2} \left(\frac{\pi}{f}\right)^2 + i \gamma^5 \frac{\pi}{f} \right) \psi

$$
This expansion results in terms such as:

$$

- g v \overline{\psi} \psi - g h \overline{\psi} \psi - \frac{i g v \gamma^5}{f} \overline{\psi} \pi \psi + \frac{g v}{2 f^2} \overline{\psi} \pi \pi \psi + O(\ldots)

$$

So, the fermion mass would be ##g v##, the coupling ##h \psi \overline{\psi}## would be ##g##, and the ##\overline{\psi} \pi \psi## coupling would be ##\frac{i g v \gamma^5}{f}##?

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is a Fermion's mass in a Lagrangian?

In a Lagrangian, a Fermion's mass is the parameter that determines the particle's mass and is typically represented as a term in the Lagrangian equation.

2. How is a Fermion's mass defined in a Lagrangian?

A Fermion's mass in a Lagrangian is defined as the coefficient of the mass term in the Lagrangian equation, which contributes to the overall energy of the particle.

3. Can a Fermion's mass in a Lagrangian change?

Yes, a Fermion's mass in a Lagrangian can change depending on the interactions and dynamics of the system. For example, in the presence of certain fields or particles, the mass term in the Lagrangian can be modified.

4. How does a Fermion's mass affect its behavior in a Lagrangian?

A Fermion's mass in a Lagrangian affects its behavior by determining its energy, momentum, and interactions with other particles. Heavier Fermions typically move more slowly and have different properties compared to lighter Fermions.

5. What are the implications of a Fermion's mass in a Lagrangian for particle physics?

The Fermion's mass in a Lagrangian is crucial for understanding the properties and interactions of particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. It plays a significant role in determining the behavior and dynamics of Fermions in particle interactions and reactions.