1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General solution to Laplace's equation where V depends only on r

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the general solution to Laplace's equation in spherical coordinates, for the case where V depends on on r. Do the same for cylindrical coordinnates assuming V depends only on r.

2. Relevant equations
    Laplace's Eq (spherical): 1/r^2 (d/dr)(r^2(dV/dr)) + 1/(r^2sin(theta))(d/dtheta)(sin(theta)(dV/dtheta)) + 1/(r^2sin^2(theta))(d^2V/dphi^2))

3. The attempt at a solution
    Having it only depend on r should I just use the first term of the eq. Everything before the first plus.

and, should I use this EQ for V:

V = kq/r?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just use [itex]V(r,\theta,\phi)=V(r)[/itex] (that is [itex]V[/itex] depends only on [itex]r[/itex])

What are [itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial \theta}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi}[/itex] then?

What does Laplace's equation look like now?

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    wouldnt it just be

1/r^2 (d/dr)(r^2(dV/dr)) dV/dr = (-1/4*pi*e0)(q/r^2) and the two r^2 cancel and you get

1/r^2(d/dr)((-1/4*pi*e0)(q)) and that goes to 0 because there are not any r's inside the partial.

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, Laplace's equation is [itex]\nabla^2V=0[/itex] NOT [itex]\nabla^2V=V_{pointcharge}[/itex].

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{d}{dr} \left( r^2 \frac{dV(r)}{dr} \right) = 0[/tex]

Which gives you a second order, ordinary differential equation to solve for [itex]V(r)[/itex].

Why would you think that the Laplacian of V was equal to the potential of a point charge?:confused:

6. Oct 1, 2008 #5
    I was saying if you use the point charge formula for V(r) when you do the partial the r^2 that is being multiplied by the partial cancels the r^2 from V'(r) and you get a constant, so when you take the second partial with respect to r, you get 0 and you have that (dell^2)V = 0

7. Oct 1, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The potential due to a point charge at the origin will satisfy Laplace's equation (except at r=0) but it is not the general solution to Laplace's equation! Can you solve the above ODE I posted?

8. Oct 1, 2008 #7
    not really sure how

9. Oct 1, 2008 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, then I think you need to review the basics of ODE's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?