General types of engineering roles

In summary, the speaker, an MS student in Aeronautics & Astronautics, wants to work in industry after graduation. Their undergraduate background is in physics and EE, but they feel they have gaps in their knowledge and are determined to do things right this time around. They are currently working to understand the different types of engineering roles, specifically in aeronautics & astronautics, and the skillsets required for these roles.
IonReactor
I'm an MS student in Aeronautics & Astronautics who wants to work in industry after I graduate. My undergraduate background is in physics and EE. I wasted a lot of time as an undergrad to health issues and maturing in general and I view myself as lucky to even have a chance to continue my education. I want to do things right now this time around and there's a lot of gaps in my knowledge of how things work that I need to fill. Right now I'm working to understand, in a general sense, what the different types of engineering roles are out there and what kind of skillsets they require.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean "engineering roles" in general, or specifically in aeronautics and astronautics?

CrysPhys said:
Do you mean "engineering roles" in general, or specifically in aeronautics and astronautics?
I mean specifically in aeronautics & astronautics

1. What are the different types of engineering roles?

There are numerous types of engineering roles, but some of the most common include mechanical, electrical, chemical, civil, and computer engineering. Other types include aerospace, biomedical, environmental, and nuclear engineering.

2. What is the role of a mechanical engineer?

A mechanical engineer designs, develops, and tests mechanical systems, such as machines, tools, and engines. They use principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to create functional and efficient products.

3. What does an electrical engineer do?

An electrical engineer is responsible for designing, developing, and testing electrical systems and components. This can include anything from power generation and distribution to electronic devices and communication systems.

4. What are the main responsibilities of a chemical engineer?

A chemical engineer applies principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design and operate processes that convert raw materials into useful products. They may work in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, or energy.

5. What is the difference between a civil engineer and a structural engineer?

Civil engineering is a broad field that involves the design, construction, and maintenance of physical structures such as roads, bridges, and buildings. Structural engineering is a specialized subset of civil engineering that focuses specifically on the design and analysis of structures to ensure their safety and stability.