1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Generalization of Archimedes' Trammel?

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1
    The Trammel of Archimedes has been around for a long time, but it is usually with two "lanes", or shuttles. Some variations on the classical one are covered nicely in "A New Look at the So-Called. Trammel of Archimedes" byTom M. Apostol and Mamikon A. Mnatsakanian (http://www.jstor.org/stable/27642689), but still restricted to two lanes. A vague reference to three lanes appears in "A wonky Trammel of Archimedes' (web.mat.bham.ac.uk/C.J.Sangwin/Publications/WonkyTrammel.pdf) , and pictures of three-laned ones abound (e.g., at the bottom of https://plus.google.com/+PedroLarroy/posts/7HKvcjiUGPH). However, nowhere (at least on the Internet) do I find a good treatment of a generalization to n lanes, for example that would allow me to calculate the area of the envelope of the ellipse traced out by such a mechanism. Can anyone point me in the right direction (preferably something freely accessible on-line)? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It does? I couldn't find it. And the animation at the Larroy link only uses two lanes. Both generalizations are merely to two non-orthogonal lanes.
    To go to 3 lanes you could consider a circle constrained to have its perimeter lying on three tracks.

4. Mar 10, 2016 #3
    Thanks, haruspex. I stand corrected; I no longer know where I thought (apparently mistakenly, now that I re-read the article) the stated reference was. So, after my own scan of the on-line literature turned up nothing on such generalizations, and throwing this out to the PhysicsForums community also turned up no explicit working out of the generalization that you suggest, I am going to assume that such a generalization has not been published, or at least not recently.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted