Generating an Exothermic Reaction with Vinegar and Bicarb

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Carlo09
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Ok so I have some vinegar and Bicarb and want to generate an exothermic reaction, but just mixing them produces CO2 in an endothermic reaction! How can I do this? Thank you.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Carlo09 said:
Ok so I have some vinegar and Bicarb and want to generate an exothermic reaction, but just mixing them produces CO2 in an endothermic reaction! How can I do this? Thank you.

Ok I have an idea, Mixing bicarb and vinegar produces sodium acetate solution in water. Concentrating this by boiling off the water and then maybe making a handwarmer type solution ... supersaturated sodium acetate solution and then cause it to crystalise to heat the water? Could it work using basic lab equipment?