Is vinegar plus bicarb a cleaner or disinfectant?

• Thread starter Merlin3189
  • Start date
In summary: They don't dissolve much in water and are not a good choice for general cleaning.Sodium acetate is not a surfactant. It is commonly used as a buffer agent. Maybe that property is useful in cleaning.Solo strong vinegar solution is unpleasant on skin, additional sodium acetate keeps the pH up enough to help.Excess NaAc would render vinegar useless as a cleaner unless created in small amounts - Vinegar is definitely used to clean glass for example.No, it would just create chlorine gas.
Merlin3189
Homework Helper
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Mixture of Acetic acid and Sodium Bicarbonate (or Carbonate) are recommended as cleaners. Is it nonsense?
Something in short supply at the moment is surface cleaner / disinfectant. Again this recipe for a cleaner came up, amazingly on the BBC. I've heard it before and of course it's common on the web.

It seems to me that even if a weak acid or a alkali were of any use as a cleaner or disinfectant, mixing them to produce a more neutral solution seems to defeat both.

When used as a drain cleaner and the ingredients are put in separately, I can see there is some mechanical cleaning action when they react. With the carbonate first perhaps there's even some reaction with fats to make them more mobile. But premixed as in a general surface cleaner, I don't suppose you even get that.

Most recipes seeem to include some detergent, so perhaps they are then comparable with most commercial products. But why add the vinegar and (bi)carbonate?

Just wonder if I'm missing something and there really is something to it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I do not see how...

Sodium acetate is not a surfactant. It is commonly used as a buffer agent. Maybe that property is useful in cleaning.
[guess]
Solo strong vinegar solution is unpleasant on skin, additional sodium acetate keeps the pH up enough to help.
Excess NaAc would render vinegar useless as a cleaner unless created in small amounts - Vinegar is definitely used to clean glass for example.
[/guess]

Not the first that I have heard of this. The salt, Sodium Acetate does not seem like much different from most other uncomplicated salts. In this case just a little bit alkaline if on its own in solution. No point seems to be in neutralizing an alkaline salt(Sodium Bicarbonate, in this case) with solution of Acetic Acid, just to create a salt solution. Mixing the two of them strikes as nonsense to create a cleaning product or solution.

If anyone knows differently, then tell us!
( Does vinegar contain other useful cleansing or disinfectant compounds? )

Merlin3189 said:
You are right: alone, both can be used for cleaning (the efficiency is low, but at least it is harmless).
Together - well, that's ~ the same line of thought what leads to mixing HCl and bleach.

Vinegar + table salt = HCl, or Hydrochloric acid. If you have eaten Fish-'N'-Chips with salt and vinegar, that is what you are tasting.

Vinegar + newspaper = H2SO4, or Sulfuric acid. A great combination for cleaning windows! (newsprint is a low grade paper with much Sulfur in it)

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Vinegar + table salt = HCl, or Hydrochloric acid. If you have eaten Fish-'N'-Chips with salt and vinegar, that is what you are tasting.

Nope. While the solution combining NaCl and vinegar contains both H+ and Cl-, like muriatic acid does, their concentrations are way too small to call this a HCl solution. It is dominated by the properties of undissociated acetic acid.

Plus, there we started with bicarbonate, not the kitchen salt.

Vinegar + newspaper = H2SO4, or Sulfuric acid. A great combination for cleaning windows! (newsprint is a low grade paper with much Sulfur in it)

No. Again, only traces, not important for the solution properties.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G, Merlin3189 and symbolipoint
Reeeaallly hard to create stronger acids from weak acids plus a salt.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary, jim mcnamara and DrClaude
Rive said:
leads to mixing HCl and bleach
Surprising isn't it? That people suggest this. AFAIK, what it does is create chlorine gas. Not a great idea under ideal circumstances...

Merlin3189 said:
Summary:: Mixture of Acetic acid and Sodium Bicarbonate (or Carbonate) are recommended as cleaners. Is it nonsense?

Something in short supply at the moment is surface cleaner / disinfectant. Again this recipe for a cleaner came up, amazingly on the BBC. I've heard it before and of course it's common on the web.

It seems to me that even if a weak acid or a alkali were of any use as a cleaner or disinfectant, mixing them to produce a more neutral solution seems to defeat both.

When used as a drain cleaner and the ingredients are put in separately, I can see there is some mechanical cleaning action when they react. With the carbonate first perhaps there's even some reaction with fats to make them more mobile. But premixed as in a general surface cleaner, I don't suppose you even get that.

Most recipes seeem to include some detergent, so perhaps they are then comparable with most commercial products. But why add the vinegar and (bi)carbonate?

I cannot see it. Mixing them removes the capacity from each to do much chemically as has been pointed out by yourself and others above.
Using each separately
Low pH from the acetic may have mild anti bacterial and the bicarb may have mild washing properties.
Washing powders are Basic in solution.
This article in the telegraph says it's an old wives tale regarding vinegar and windows. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/interiors/home/best-way-clean-windows/

Distilled white vinegar would likely dry spot-free though.

chemisttree said:
Only, if there is nothing it can 'clean' there :wink:

chemisttree said:
You certainly get a squeak, that's because there is more friction than if you use soap/detergents with surfactants.
Good housekeeping recommended lemon if you have no vinegar.
It will smell nicer but in terms of cleaning and bacteriocidal properties I would say not that much.
The cleaning material they are using on Corona patients houses in UK has a chemical I think may be used as an insecticide. Formula 42?

symbolipoint said:
( Does vinegar contain other useful cleansing or disinfectant compounds? )

It contains water which is often effective for cleaning. Other than that and the previously mentioned acetic acid it should contain nothing else. This is assuming white vinegar.

BoB

pinball1970 said:
You certainly get a squeak, that's because there is more friction than if you use soap/detergents with surfactants.
Good housekeeping recommended lemon if you have no vinegar.
It will smell nicer but in terms of cleaning and bacteriocidal properties I would say not that much.
The cleaning material they are using on Corona patients houses in UK has a chemical I think may be used as an insecticide. Formula 42?
Sanifil Formula 42 has water, non-ionic surfactant, tetrasodium EDTA, citric acid, optical brighteners, dye and fragrances. Some of that stuff, including water, can kill insects.
The non-ionic is nonlyphenol ethoxylate, likely a Triton X-100 type ethoxylate, which is an industrial cleaner that can kill baby fish, shrimp, etc. if it gets into groundwater. Likely kills insects too in great enough concentration.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
rbelli1 said:
It contains water which is often effective for cleaning. Other than that and the previously mentioned acetic acid it should contain nothing else. This is assuming white vinegar.

BoB
The reason I ask is that I do not want to oversimplify the meaning of "vinegar" believing it were simply solution of acetic acid in water and nothing more.

symbolipoint said:
simply solution of acetic acid in water and nothing more.

You are not mistaken. It is acetic acid diluted with water to 5% or so as long as you are talking about distilled white vinegar.

You also can have cider, wine, honey, etc. vinegar which has other stuff in it. Those are usually not desirable for use as cleaners.

BoB

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
Vinegar alone is considered a moderately effective disinfectant, but not with bicarbonate. Years ago, I read a study that found treatment of a surface with vinegar, wait, wipe, then peroxide, wait, wipe, was more effective than standard dilutions of bleach. However, the topic was bacteria (salmonella, listeria, e.coli, etc), not viruses. For Covid 19, CDC currently lists Peroxide as a fully effective surface disenfectant, so this regimen would work fine, but it is unclear the vinegar would be doing anything for covid.

1. Is vinegar plus bicarb a natural cleaner or disinfectant?

Vinegar and bicarb (baking soda) are both natural substances that have cleaning properties. When combined, they can create a cleaning solution that is effective at removing dirt and grime. However, they are not considered strong enough to be used as a disinfectant.

2. How does vinegar plus bicarb work as a cleaner?

Vinegar is acidic and bicarb is alkaline. When combined, they create a chemical reaction that produces carbon dioxide gas. This bubbling action helps to loosen and lift dirt and grime from surfaces. The acidic nature of vinegar also helps to dissolve mineral deposits and grease.

3. Can vinegar plus bicarb be used to clean all surfaces?

Vinegar is a mild acid and bicarb is a mild base, so they are generally safe to use on most surfaces. However, it is important to test the solution on a small, inconspicuous area first to make sure it does not cause any damage or discoloration. Avoid using this solution on delicate surfaces like marble or granite.

4. Is vinegar plus bicarb safe for use around children and pets?

Yes, vinegar and bicarb are non-toxic and safe for use around children and pets. However, it is important to keep the solution out of reach and to avoid using it on surfaces that may come into contact with food.

5. How effective is vinegar plus bicarb as a cleaner?

Vinegar and bicarb can be effective at removing dirt and grime, but they may not be as effective as commercial cleaning products. They may also not be strong enough to kill bacteria and viruses, so they should not be used as a disinfectant. For tougher cleaning tasks, it may be necessary to use a stronger cleaning product.