Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Quantum mechanics -- explanation of exothermic reactions

1. Oct 15, 2016 #1
    Hi, I am wondering about latent heat release when water freezes but it seems best to start with a regular exothermic reaction. How does bond formation create heat? What is actually happening at the microscopic level so that these combining particles are capable of causing adjacent molecules to become hotter? I am not wanting a maths answer but rather a thought experiment approach to the answer that considers what is happening microscopically. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"I don't want math." Overlap/exchange integrals.

4. Oct 15, 2016 #3
    Sorry I have no idea what that comment is telling me.

5. Oct 15, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have stated that you do not want any math; if you Google "overlap/exchange integral(s)"-"math", you'll get nothing but math. Do not request that we appeal to your intuition(s), or that we appease your intuition(s), because it simply will not happen on PF.

6. Oct 15, 2016 #5
    Are you telling me it is impossible to explain in words why energy is released when a chemical bond is formed? I thought maths was a shorthand way of describing something that could in principle be described in words?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted