Genetics problem-Interrupted mating

• Biology
  • Thread starter TytoAlba95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genetics
In summary, the three Hfr strains are derived from the same F+ bacteria, but there may be differences between them that affect the results of alignment. Additionally, Hfr2 may be an e- strain, which could explain the incomplete match between the first and second sets of genes. Therefore, the correct answer for the question is likely (a), but there may be more factors at play.
TytoAlba95
Homework Statement
The following table shows mapping data from 3 interrupted mating experiments using three different Hfr strains and F- strain:
Relevant Equations
Please check the picture below.

My Attempt:
It appears to me that the three Hfr strains are derived from the same F+ bacteria. This info is absent in the question.

Now on aligning all three sets of genes, the first and second set doesn't match completely.

I do not understand why it doesn't as they are supposed to be generated from the same F+ bacteria.

The correct answer for this Question is (a).
R and S are correct so option (a) should be correct, but how's P too correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
SanjuktaGhosh said:
My Attempt:
It appears to me that the three Hfr strains are derived from the same F+ bacteria. This info is absent in the question.

This is not necessarily true and an explanation of the results require some differences between the Hfr strains.

Now on aligning all three sets of genes, the first and second set doesn't match completely.
View attachment 244059
I do not understand why it doesn't as they are supposed to be generated from the same F+ bacteria.

One explanation for the results is that Hfr2 is an e- strain, so transfer of e cannot be observed.

1. What is interrupted mating in genetics?

Interrupted mating is a technique used in genetics to study the order of genes on a chromosome. It involves stopping the conjugation process of bacteria by physically breaking apart the cells at specific time intervals. This allows researchers to observe which genes are transferred first and determine their relative positions on the chromosome.

2. How does interrupted mating help in genetic mapping?

Interrupted mating allows for the creation of a genetic map, which shows the order and relative distances between genes on a chromosome. By observing the transfer of genes during interrupted mating, researchers can determine the order of genes and their distances from each other, providing valuable information for genetic mapping.

3. What are the advantages of using interrupted mating in genetic studies?

Interrupted mating is a useful tool in genetic studies because it allows for the determination of gene order and distance without the need for complex molecular techniques. It is also a relatively quick and inexpensive method compared to other genetic mapping techniques.

4. What are the limitations of interrupted mating in genetics?

One limitation of interrupted mating is that it can only be used in bacteria or other organisms that undergo conjugation. It also does not provide information on the exact locations of genes on a chromosome, only their relative positions. Additionally, the technique can be time-consuming and requires careful handling to ensure accurate results.

5. How is interrupted mating different from traditional genetic mapping techniques?

Interrupted mating differs from traditional genetic mapping techniques, such as linkage analysis and physical mapping, in that it does not require the use of molecular markers or physical measurements. Instead, it relies on the observation of gene transfer during conjugation to determine gene order and distance. This makes it a simpler and more cost-effective method for genetic mapping.