• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Genetics problem-Interrupted mating

Problem Statement
The following table shows mapping data from 3 interrupted mating experiments using three different Hfr strains and F- strain:
Relevant Equations
Please check the picture below.

My Attempt:
It appears to me that the three Hfr strains are derived from the same F+ bacteria. This info is absent in the question.

Now on aligning all three sets of genes, the first and second set doesn't match completely.

I do not understand why it doesn't as they are supposed to be generated from the same F+ bacteria.

The correct answer for this Question is (a).
R and S are correct so option (a) should be correct, but how's P too correct.

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
My Attempt:
It appears to me that the three Hfr strains are derived from the same F+ bacteria. This info is absent in the question.
This is not necessarily true and an explanation of the results require some differences between the Hfr strains.

Now on aligning all three sets of genes, the first and second set doesn't match completely.
View attachment 244059
I do not understand why it doesn't as they are supposed to be generated from the same F+ bacteria.
One explanation for the results is that Hfr2 is an e- strain, so transfer of e cannot be observed.