Geology - The Formation of Earthquakes

  • Thread starter Thread starter PPonte
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formation Geology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 19K views
PPonte
I am looking for good information about the formation of earthquakes. My textbook is not very good and Wikipedia did not satisfy me. I know that someome might have a good site or article about this topic. Thank you. I will continue to search, if i find one I will warn you. Thank you! :biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on how detailed you want to get, the usgs http://www.usgs.gov/science/ has a great deal of information.
 
Thanks! This site has a lot of information. But, I am just interested in the formation of earthquakes.
 
Caused when Earth's plates build lots of energy on their boundaries (because they are pressing against each other [going under anohter or over another) ) until whatever is blocking them from moving can't take it anymore. Consequently, he plates move and release all of the energy built up, causing an earthquake.

http://www.em.gov.bc.ca/Mining/Geolsurv/Surficial/quake/eq1.htm

Are you looking for extensive information, or to understand how/why they occur?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Haxx0rm4ster, I understand why they occur, I was looking for extensive information,i.e., their formation but with more details. But now I am thinking that are not much more details. Thank you.
 
Don't know if any of this will help you but here. ^_^

http://www.gpc.edu/~pgore/Earth&Space/GPS/earthquake.html
http://www.howstuffworks.com/earthquake.htm
http://www.olympus.net/personal/gofamily/quake/causes.html
http://www.exploratorium.edu/faultline/earthquakescience/
 
Last edited by a moderator: