General study tips for Physical Geology?

In summary, the student is struggling with the memorization of the material for the physical geography class. He has some study tips for the class, but is also struggling with the material.
Of Mike and Men
Hey everyone,

I am a CS major, and part of my curriculum has me taking 2 sequences in various sciences. Initially I wanted to do physics & chemistry. I ended up taking Physics I, but am unable to take Physics II next semester due to scheduling conflicts; thus this summer I am taking the first part of the geology sequence: Physical Geology. So far we've covered plate tectonics, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, igneous rocks, sedimentary rocks, and the formation of the Earth (in little detail since that's the second part of the sequence).

The class is extremely interesting; it's not conceptually taxing, but I am extremely hung up on the volume of information required for the tests. Typically for memorization I make note cards; which I've been doing... but I probably have 100 note cards per lecture and roughly 20 pages of typed notes per lecture from the professor which serve as a 'review'. I was doing fine with the initial material, but I am stuck on sedimentary rocks and volcanoes. It seems that my brain just won't store the information anymore, I will literally forget something 2 seconds after writing it down.

What are your study tips for this type of class? My professor basically said "Read the book, read the chapter reviews, and do the practice questions." I did this for the last test, and don't think I fared to well on it. It was kind of a wake up call.

Thanks.

I read the material that we were going to cover in the lecture the day before. I would write down anything from the lecture that was new or if the explanation was better than what was given in the book.

Is it possible to take Physics 2, or its equivalent at a community college, and receive credit? For most of my math courses beyond Calculus 2 at the community college, I had plenty of students from USC, Cal State La, Long Beach, and even a few engineering students for Cal Poly Pomona. Ask the appropriate people at your college if this is possible.

1. What is the best way to study for a physical geology course?

The best way to study for a physical geology course is to actively engage with the material. This can include taking thorough notes during lectures, reviewing and summarizing those notes after class, and completing practice problems and quizzes to reinforce your understanding.

2. How can I memorize all the different types of rock and minerals?

Instead of trying to memorize every single type of rock and mineral, focus on understanding the characteristics and properties of each type. This will make it easier to identify them based on their physical features and will also help you understand their formation processes.

3. Should I study alone or in a group for a geology exam?

This ultimately depends on your personal learning style. Some people find it helpful to study alone, as they can focus better and move at their own pace. Others may benefit from studying in a group, as they can discuss and explain concepts to each other. Try both methods and see which works best for you.

4. How can I prepare for a lab practical in physical geology?

To prepare for a lab practical, make sure you have a thorough understanding of the concepts and techniques used in the lab. Review your lab notes and practice identifying and describing the different specimens and materials you have worked with. It may also be helpful to work through past lab practical questions or create your own practice questions.

5. What resources are available to help me study for a physical geology course?

Aside from your textbook and lecture materials, there are many other resources available to help you study for a physical geology course. These can include online resources such as interactive quizzes and videos, study guides, and review sessions with your professor or teaching assistant. It may also be helpful to form a study group with classmates to discuss and review material together.