Geometric and arithmetic series

Finally, substitute in the values of a, b and c, and you'll have your answer.In summary, this problem can be solved by expressing a,b,c in terms of the first term and common difference/ratio of the respective arithmetic and geometric progressions, and then using the laws of exponents to simplify the given expression.
Government$

Homework Statement

If a,b,c, are at the same time fifth, seventh and thirty seventh member of arithmetic and geometric progression then [itex]a^{b-c}b^{c-a}c^{a-b}[/itex] is:

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving system of equations but i have four unknown. I was able to reduce it to on unknown.

12r^32 - 32r^12 + 20=0 where r is common ration in geometric series. I have no idea how to solve this. :cry:

Maybe trying to solve the system isn't a way to go?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wel its evident that two solutions are 1 and - 1 but what kind of geometric progression is with r=1 or r=-1?

Government$ said:

Homework Statement

If a,b,c, are at the same time fifth, seventh and thirty seventh member of arithmetic and geometric progression then [itex]a^{b-c}b^{c-a}c^{a-b}[/itex] is:

I tried solving system of equations but i have four unknown. I was able to reduce it to on unknown.

12r^32 - 32r^12 + 20=0 where r is common ration in geometric series. I have no idea how to solve this. :cry:

Hello Government$
Do you mean that a,b,and c are parts of an arithemtico-geometric sequence(As in saying that they can be represented as the product of corresponding terms of an arithmetic and geometric series) or implying that there exist separate (not to be sure) arithmetic and geometric progressions satisfying the condition?
Regards
Yukoel

Last edited:
As i have understood it there exist separate arithmetic and separate geometric progression. This is a first time i hear of arithemtico-geometric series.

Government$ said:
As i have understood it there exist separate arithmetic and separate geometric progression. This is a first time i hear of arithemtico-geometric series.
Hello,
Thanks for clarifying this. Well the way I can think of it is doesn't utilize finding the common difference and /or common ratio .Try writing them separately as nth(n=5,7,and 37 as given) terms of the Geometric and arithmetic sequence (Don't be disheartened by the number of unknowns :) ).Now look at the expression .In order to simplify it you might want to multiply the bases easily, by which sequence would you represent it(I mean a,b and c)? If you have had multiplied you might need to easily add the exponents. Which sequence's use makes it easier?
Regards
Yukoel

Likes 1 person
Government$ said:

Homework Statement

This is a simple problem. You're told that a,b,c are particular terms of an arithmetic progression (A.P.) and a geometric progression (G.P.). So just use symbols to represent the first term and common difference of that A.P. and the first term and common ratio of the G.P. and express a,b,c both ways.

You're asked to evaluate an expression that's the product of powers of a, b and c. For the bases (e.g. a or b), use the G.P. representation. For the exponents (e.g. b-c), use the A.P. representation. Do the algebra using the laws of exponents and you'll be pleasantly surprised at what cancels out.

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio. This constant ratio is known as the common ratio and is denoted by the letter "r". The general form of a geometric series is a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ... + ar^n, where "a" is the first term and "r" is the common ratio.

2. What is the formula for finding the sum of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of a geometric series is S = a * (1 - r^n) / (1 - r), where S is the sum, "a" is the first term, "r" is the common ratio, and "n" is the number of terms.

3. What is an arithmetic series?

An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by adding a constant difference to the previous term. This constant difference is known as the common difference and is denoted by the letter "d". The general form of an arithmetic series is a + (a + d) + (a + 2d) + (a + 3d) + ... + (a + nd), where "a" is the first term and "d" is the common difference.

4. What is the formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series?

The formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series is S = n * (a + l) / 2, where S is the sum, "n" is the number of terms, "a" is the first term, and "l" is the last term. The last term can be found by using the formula l = a + (n-1)d, where "d" is the common difference.

5. How can geometric and arithmetic series be applied in real life situations?

Geometric and arithmetic series can be applied in various real-life situations such as calculating compound interest in finance, modeling population growth in biology, and predicting future values in data analysis. They can also be used in engineering to design structures with precise measurements and in physics to study motion and acceleration.