Geometric realization of topology

In summary, the conversation revolves around the definition and representation of cell complexes and their geometric realizations. The speaker is seeking a way to assign coordinates to 0-cells, edges, faces, and volumes in a cell complex. There is a discussion about the standard simplex and its algorithm for embedding linear complexes, but the speaker is interested in cw-complexes which are defined topologically rather than geometrically. The conversation ends with the speaker still seeking a way to add geometric realization to cw-complexes.
s_jubeh
Hello,

Suppose that I have a cell complex and I want to define it's geometric realization, I can do it via mapping such that assign coordinates to 0-cells. however how can i do that for edges, faces and volumes. is there is ageneral formulas for lines, faces and volumes.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
s_jubeh said:
Hello,

Suppose that I have a cell complex and I want to define it's geometric realization, I can do it via mapping such that assign coordinates to 0-cells. however how can i do that for edges, faces and volumes. is there is ageneral formulas for lines, faces and volumes.

Regards

For a simplicial complex there is a simplicial map of the complex into the standard simplex in n-dimensions - where n is the number of vertices in the complex.

Dear wofsy,

I did not understand your reply " I am not an expert in this field". Actually my problem lies in representing geometrical objects. Suppose that I have a cell complex (cw-complex) such that each cell in this complex can be a assigned geometrical realization.

fro example

vertix ----> point

edge ----> line (curved )

face ----> surface

if I am talking about linear complex, it is enough to assign points to vertexes. however suppose that the mesh that I want to represent is curvilinear mesh. this is not possible.

Regards

s_jubeh said:
Dear wofsy,

I did not understand your reply " I am not an expert in this field". Actually my problem lies in representing geometrical objects. Suppose that I have a cell complex (cw-complex) such that each cell in this complex can be a assigned geometrical realization.

fro example

vertix ----> point

edge ----> line (curved )

face ----> surface

if I am talking about linear complex, it is enough to assign points to vertexes. however suppose that the mesh that I want to represent is curvilinear mesh. this is not possible.

Regards

Not sure what you are talking about. A linear complex can be embedded in the standard simplex in n dimensions. The algorithm is trivial. But maybe you are trying to do something else.

Dear wofsy,

Can you please direct me to this algorithm and some explanation. It seems that we are talking about different things.

Thanks

The standard n simplex has n+1 vertices and is a subset of R^n. Any subset of vertexes spans a lower dimensional simplex so any linear simplicial complex with n or less vertices is a subset of this one.

Derar Wofsy,

wofsy said:
The standard n simplex has n+1 vertices and is a subset of R^n. Any subset of vertexes spans a lower dimensional simplex so any linear simplicial complex with n or less vertices is a subset of this one.

I think we are talking about diffrent things, I am interested in cw-complex. the defenesion of cw-complex is purly based on topology not geometry. so my question is how to add geometric realization to cw-complexes.

Regards

s_jubeh said:
Derar Wofsy,
I think we are talking about diffrent things, I am interested in cw-complex. the defenesion of cw-complex is purly based on topology not geometry. so my question is how to add geometric realization to cw-complexes.

Regards

I didn't mean to give you a complete answer. But a simplicial complex is a cw-complex and it may be that any cw-complex has a simplicial decomposition. I gave you a geometric realization of an arbitrary simplicial complex whether defined topologically or combinatorally.

in general I am not sure - at best you can have an existence theorem

1. What is geometric realization of topology?

The geometric realization of topology is a mathematical concept that involves turning abstract topological spaces into concrete geometric objects. It is a way to visualize and study topological spaces by assigning them geometric shapes and structures.

2. How is geometric realization of topology used in scientific research?

Geometric realization of topology is used in various fields of science, such as physics, computer science, and biology. It allows researchers to study and analyze complex topological structures in a more intuitive and visual manner, leading to new insights and discoveries.

3. Can any topological space be realized geometrically?

Not all topological spaces can be realized geometrically. There are certain properties that a topological space must possess in order to have a geometric realization. For example, it must be compact and Hausdorff.

4. What are some examples of geometric realizations of topological spaces?

Some common examples of geometric realizations include the representation of a circle as a cylinder, a torus as a donut shape, and a Mobius strip as a twisted band. Other examples can include the visualization of complex high-dimensional spaces using techniques such as simplicial complexes or polyhedra.

5. How does geometric realization of topology relate to other branches of mathematics?

Geometric realization of topology has connections to other branches of mathematics, such as differential geometry, algebraic geometry, and algebraic topology. It provides a bridge between abstract topological concepts and concrete geometric structures, allowing for the application of techniques and tools from these fields to study and understand topological spaces.