Geometric sequence, determining the value of the first term

• Thread starter tug187
  • Start date
question - if the 3rd and 9th term of a geometric series with a positive common ratio are -3 and -192 respectively, determine the value fo the first term, a.

I kno we using
a_n=a_1r^n-1

From that i got this :

-3 = a_1r^2
-192 = a_1r^8

But I dont kno how I can solve for r or a_1... I also don't know if I even did it right

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, you have two equations in two unknowns, don't you? How do you generally solve such things?

Well, you have two equations in two unknowns, don't you? How do you generally solve such things?
thats what im wondering.. I dont think the way your thinking of works.. I forgot how to figure out the common ratio thats all i really need to know

You need to solve the equations you wrote down to get r=

-3 = a_1r^2
-192 = a_1r^8

You need to solve the equations you wrote down to get r=

-3 = a_1r^2
-192 = a_1r^8
thats what i dont understand, on other questions i got the common ratio easily by using the term before it but these 2 terms r not after each other so i dont know how to figure them out
to make it more clear its:
-3=a1r2
-192=a1r8

thats what i dont understand, on other questions i got the common ratio easily by using the term before it but these 2 terms r not after each other so i dont know how to figure them out
to make it more clear its:
-3=a1r2
-192=a1r8
What happens if you divide the second equation by the first?

What happens if you divide the second equation by the first?
64 = r6 ?
26 = r6
r = 2?

anyone kno if this is right?

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, if you computed a_1 too, you could check for yourself to see if it's right!

Well, if you computed a_1 too, you could check for yourself to see if it's right!
Ok...

ifwe know that term 3 is -3,
a3 = a1*r^3-1
-3 = a1*2^2
-3 = 4*a1
-3/4 = a1

should be right