Geometrical Proof: Prove Intersection Point on Line CM

In summary: CM.In summary, the problem is to prove that the intersection point of two new lines, created by constructing angles on a straight line through a given triangle, lies on the line through the middle point of one of the sides of the triangle. The suggested approach is to use Ceva's theorem, but it may be possible to prove the result using basic geometric principles.
franceboy

Homework Statement

Consider an triangle ABC with M as the middle point of the side AB.
On the straight line through AB you put the angle ∠ ACM at A and the angle ∠ MCB at B. Now you have two new lines. The new lines should be on the same side of AB as C.
Proof that the intersection point of the two new lines is located on the line through CM.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to use Ceva`s Theorem but I could not use it :(

I hope you can give me some advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've generated some similar triangles there which should help, if you work out the scaling. Note that |AM| = |BM|

franceboy said:

Homework Statement

Consider an triangle ABC with M as the middle point of the side AB.
On the straight line through AB you put the angle ∠ ACM at A and the angle ∠ MCB at B. Now you have two new lines.
I don't understand. From your explanation you would have two new angles. In my drawing below I have labelled ∠ ACM as a and ∠ MCB as b.
franceboy said:
The new lines should be on the same side of AB as C.
Proof that the intersection point of the two new lines is located on the line through CM.
?
franceboy said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to use Ceva`s Theorem but I could not use it :(
What is Ceva's Theorem?
franceboy said:
I hope you can give me some advice.

Triangle.jpg

Hi Mark, this is the construction as I understand it:
PF_1.png

Sorry thai i did not add a sketch but a GeoGebra sketch was not accepted as file.
Joffan your sketch is correct. I used the symmetry so that I " only" need to proof
BX / XC * CY / YA = 1
I determined all the angles and I found some similarities but they did not help to solve the problem.
Is Ceva' s theorem the right idea to solve the problem?

Maybe you could use Ceva's theorem - it seems a little overpowered.

I would proceed by marking X as the intersection of the new line from A with CM and Y as the intersection of the new line from B with CM. Then show that |MX| = |MY| and thus that X == Y

Related to Geometrical Proof: Prove Intersection Point on Line CM

1. What is a geometrical proof?

A geometrical proof is a method of reasoning and providing a logical explanation for a mathematical statement or theorem using geometric principles and properties.

2. How do you prove an intersection point on a line CM?

To prove that a point lies on a line CM, you can use the slope-intercept form of a line equation and plug in the coordinates of the point. If the resulting equation is true, then the point lies on the line CM.

3. What are the key steps in a geometrical proof?

The key steps in a geometrical proof include stating the given information, defining any new terms or variables, stating the theorem or statement to be proven, and then providing a logical sequence of steps using geometric principles to arrive at the desired conclusion.

4. How do you know if a geometrical proof is valid?

A geometrical proof is considered valid if it follows a logical sequence of steps and uses accurate geometric principles. Additionally, the given information and the desired conclusion must align with the theorem or statement being proven.

5. Can a geometrical proof be disproven?

Yes, a geometrical proof can be disproven if it contains a mistake or if it does not follow a logical sequence of steps. Additionally, if the given information or the desired conclusion is incorrect, the proof will be considered invalid.