Geometry and topology REU programs beyond Williams and Cornell

  • Thread starter Thread starter owlpride
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reu Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
254 replies · 86K views
Yeah... I underestimated the work by a huge margin when I put together the list!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I applied to 8, I might've applied for more but I also have a bunch of study abroad apps to worry about for next semester. I'm really ready to stop applying to things and actually get some **** done for once...
 
Hey owlpride (if you're still snooping around this thread), do you recall how long it took for Cornell to notify you of your acceptance after the deadline had passed?

The more I investigate the Texas A&M REU, I think the only one I'd pass it up for would be Cornell.
 
blackfedora said:
I applied to 8, I might've applied for more but I also have a bunch of study abroad apps to worry about for next semester. I'm really ready to stop applying to things and actually get some **** done for once...

Cheers to that, I'm tired of applying to different things.
 
union68 said:
Hey owlpride (if you're still snooping around this thread), do you recall how long it took for Cornell to notify you of your acceptance after the deadline had passed?

The more I investigate the Texas A&M REU, I think the only one I'd pass it up for would be Cornell.

Which project did you apply for Cornell?
 
I selected "Analysis on Fractals" as my first choice, but I made sure to tell them that I'd be cool with "Geometric Differential Equations" also. I am interested in both.
 
Uh-oh, stupid mistake on my part!

For UNC Greensboro I emailed my transcript instead of having it mailed. I noticed this today. The post office unfortunately is not open today, so I couldn't mail it with express or priority mail. I put the transcript in an envelope and put it in the outgoing mail box at my dorm. Hopefully it will get postmarked today. If so, I really hope this will be okay; the website does technically say that application materials have to be postmarked by the deadline.

Dang, this was even one of my top choices because of its blend of mathematics and computer science.

I guess this is what happens when I apply to 12 programs...

I asked and they let me send my transcript in by email. It probably won't be an issue.
 
Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about the greensboro program? Any one who has gone there or heard anything about it? Not that this is my most important criteria by a long shot, but does anyone know anything about its prestige or anything?
 
I went to Greensboro. I don't know how it stands on prestige (hopefully high =) ), but I thought it was fun. Very work intensive, but worth it. That, and the program is fairly successful in terms of getting its results into publication/conferences...
 
Last edited:
I suppose I should have asked this sooner but what do you typically do on the weekends, or in the evenings during the week at REU's? I've heard you often live with people in your group on campus so I would assume it's mostly just laying low and discussing of the problems. Sounds great to me, but I was just curious what different people's experiences were.
 
In my personal experience (this might vary from REU to REU), it is mostly just lying low, yes, though relatively little time is spent discussing the problems... Usually, no matter how much you like it, having a break from your research at the end of the day is nice =)
 
Hey, does anyone know if they have sent out the offers to the top UNC-Greensboro applicants yet? I got an email and a call from the lady saying i was one of her top choices but I don't know if that guarantees me an offer. Just anxious to know whether others have gotten them yet.
 
messidona said:
Hey, does anyone know if they have sent out the offers to the top UNC-Greensboro applicants yet? I got an email and a call from the lady saying i was one of her top choices but I don't know if that guarantees me an offer. Just anxious to know whether others have gotten them yet.

I also spoke with her on the phone. She said they will let top choices know this week. I emailed her earlier today wondering if she had a better idea now versus when I spoke to her (Friday) but haven't gotten a reply yet. When I know, ill post what she says. Hopefully today or tomorrow. Good luck to you.

Edit: she said it's taking a bit longer than expected but she hopes by the end of the week, the initial offers will be made.
 
Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything from Duluth recently? I sort of expected to hear back from Duluth by now since I think at least one person in this thread got a response immediately after the deadline.
 
zpconn, I'm in your position, too: haven't heard back from Duluth or SMALL, deciding on probable A&M offer. I want to know soon, either way! :-p
 
What's the story with A & M. Have they already sent out their first round offers?
 
woot. just got an offer from UNC Greensboro and accepted right away. should be a great summer. those who also get offers/accept them: let me know - it looks like we'll be working together.

oh and to messidona, I'm not sure how closely you've been following this thread but i think a few pages ago some of the people said they received offers from A&M.
 
Newtime said:
woot. just got an offer from UNC Greensboro and accepted right away. should be a great summer. those who also get offers/accept them: let me know - it looks like we'll be working together..

I got an offer from greensboro and canisius and am deciding now.
 
Which Cornell program do you mean? The deadline for the REU hasn't even passed yet!
 
I asked them if they had any early information. Haven't heard back yet. The deadline for Cornell is going to conflict with the deadlines the other schools gave me for notifying them of my final decision. I'm going to be cutting it really close.
 
Snitse said:
I got an offer from greensboro and canisius and am deciding now.

What do you think you'll end up doing?
 
Newtime said:
What do you think you'll end up doing?

Well my top choice is Asheville which hasn't gotten back to me yet, so I'm still waiting it out.
 
Hey, does anyone know the offer status of other reu's.

i.e.

UNC - Asheville
Claremont
Michigan
Penn State
SUNY - Potsdam
Indiana

I am just wondering because I didn't realize how competitive this was and was wondering if I should apply to a few more easy ones just in case so that I at least get something for the summer?
p.s. which ones are the easier ones, it's hard to tell.
 
Last edited:
BolzanoWeir said:
Hey, does anyone know the offer status of other reu's.

i.e.

UNC - Asheville
Claremont
Michigan
Penn State
SUNY - Potsdam
Indiana

I am just wondering because I didn't realize how competitive this was and was wondering if I should apply to a few more easy ones just in case so that I at least get something for the summer?



p.s. which ones are the easier ones, it's hard to tell.

Dr. Foisy from SUNY Potsdam told me he expects to be sending out the initial offers by Friday or Monday at the latest.
 
Snitse said:
Well my top choice is Asheville which hasn't gotten back to me yet, so I'm still waiting it out.

Why is that in these sort of things the "first choices" always take the longest?!


Newtime said:
woot. just got an offer from UNC Greensboro and accepted right away.

Good job!
 
How do you know about SUNY? Did Dr. Foisy already contact his top applicants?
 
Just got the offer from UNC-Greensboro!

We have to decide really soon tho, probably going to take it but I'm going to enquire about the status of my application at the other places.
 
BolzanoWeir said:
How do you know about SUNY? Did Dr. Foisy already contact his top applicants?

Not that I know of. I emailed him a day or two ago asking about the status of my application and the applications in general. He said he hopes to have the first round of offers out by Friday or Monday at the latest.