Geometry problem (angle of body diagonal of a cube)

In summary, the conversation discusses the angle of the yellow theta in the given image and how it changes when one side of the red lines is fixed and the other end is slid along the green side of the cube. The speaker initially thought the angle was 45 degrees, but it is actually 90 degrees. This leads to a decrease in the angle to 70.5 degrees, which is not intuitive. The speaker is seeking an explanation for this change in angle without using an analytical method, as they have already solved it analytically.
iScience
refer to the following image

psHfz15.png

so consider the angle of the yellow theta on the top left. this is 45*. if we fix one side of both red lines at the blue circles, and we slide the other end along the green side of the cube, ie just think of the green lines as rails for the red lines to slide along. then this will extend the lateral length of the lines as the length in the z-direction (up and down) remains constant. shouldn't this then DECREASE the angle specified in the picture not increase it?

i'm asking because I've been asked to solve for this angle and θ<45* is not what i got. I got the angle to be 70* which is not intuitive.

i am asking for intuition on this problem as opposed to an involved analytical method of solving for that angle. I've already done it analytically i just have no idea why that angle increases and doesn't decrease.

thanks all

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe the first angle is 90°, not 45° as you originally thought. Thus the angles does indeed decrease to 70.5°

Ahaha... I made another stupid mistake... Thanks

What is a body diagonal of a cube?

A body diagonal of a cube is a line segment that connects two opposite vertices of the cube that do not share a face. It passes through the center of the cube and is the longest diagonal in the cube.

How do you find the angle of the body diagonal of a cube?

To find the angle of the body diagonal of a cube, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. The length of the body diagonal is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the length of the cube's edges. Once you have the length of the body diagonal, you can use trigonometric functions to find the angle.

Why is the angle of the body diagonal of a cube important?

The angle of the body diagonal of a cube is important because it can help us determine the dimensions and properties of the cube. It is also useful in various applications, such as in architecture and engineering, where precise measurements are needed.

What is the relationship between the angle of the body diagonal and the angle of the cube's edges?

The angle of the body diagonal is equal to the angle between the cube's edges and its face diagonals. This is because the body diagonal and the face diagonal form a right angle, and the angle of the body diagonal is the complement of the angle between the edges and the face diagonal.

Can the angle of the body diagonal of a cube be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the angle of the body diagonal of a cube cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because the body diagonal is the longest diagonal in the cube, and the longest side of a right triangle is always opposite the largest angle, which in this case is 90 degrees.