George's secret key to the Universe -- Lucy Hawking & Stephen Hawking

In summary, the conversation discusses a book series where a school kid named George meets his scientist neighbor, Eric, who has a supercomputer that can teleport people to space. The book covers various astronomical concepts in an interesting way for children. One person recommends it for kids interested in astrophysics, while another questions the use of teleportation as an introduction to physics. A discussion about spoilers ensues, with one person arguing that spoilers are relative and the other finding a spoiler in the conversation to be juvenile.
GiriBang
In this book series George, a school kid meets a neighbor Eric, a scientist
and his daughter too lol
. He's surprised to find that Eric possesses a supercomputer which can actually actually teleport people to space.
The book explains astronomical concepts like the red shift, true vacuum and false vacuum for instance in a very interesting form for kids. I would recommend this to your kids if you want them to get an insight on Astrophysics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh ... I don't think teleportation is a good intro to physics. :smile:

Likes member 656954
@GiriBang, why is your spoiler text in a spoiler? It does not seem necessary.

Tghu Verd said:
@GiriBang, why is your spoiler text in a spoiler? It does not seem necessary.
Spoilers are relative. For a person who hasn't seen Infinity war till now, Spiderman's death is a spoiler.

GiriBang said:
Spoilers are relative. For a person who hasn't seen Infinity war till now, Spiderman's death is a spoiler.
What does that have to do with the fact that your spoiler is a bit silly?

GiriBang said:
Spoilers are relative.

Spoilers are exactly what the word suggests, @GiriBang. And your Infinity War example shows you understand this, but a scientist with a daughter is hardly giving the plot or the ending away, esp. when the Amazon blurb for the book says (with my emphasis):

"It's the story of George, who's taken through the vastness of space by a scientist, his daughter, and their super-computer named Cosmos."​
Your spoiler seemed 'tee hee' juvenile, as if a girl being involved in science was somehow shocking or surprising.

Likes phinds
Tghu Verd said:
Your spoiler seemed 'tee hee' juvenile, as if a girl being involved in science was somehow shocking or surprising.
Exactly. "Cutesy" was going to be my description but I'm trying to watch my tongue.

Likes member 656954

What is "George's secret key to the Universe" about?

"George's secret key to the Universe" is a children's science fiction book written by Lucy Hawking and her father, renowned scientist Stephen Hawking. It follows a young boy named George and his friend Annie as they embark on an adventure through space and time, learning about the wonders of the universe and the importance of protecting it.

Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for "George's secret key to the Universe" is children aged 8-12 years old. However, the book can also be enjoyed by adults who are interested in science and space exploration.

Is this book scientifically accurate?

Yes, "George's secret key to the Universe" is scientifically accurate. Stephen Hawking was known for his groundbreaking work in theoretical physics, and his daughter Lucy is also a respected science communicator. The book incorporates real scientific concepts and theories, making it both educational and entertaining.

Are there any sequels to this book?

Yes, there are two sequels to "George's secret key to the Universe" - "George's Cosmic Treasure Hunt" and "George and the Big Bang." These books continue the adventures of George and Annie as they explore the mysteries of the universe.

Can this book be used as a teaching tool?

Yes, "George's secret key to the Universe" can be used as a teaching tool in classrooms or at home. It introduces complex scientific concepts in a fun and engaging way, making it a great resource for educators and parents who want to spark children's interest in science and space exploration.