Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

German courts rule Facebook 'friend finder' unlawful

1. Jan 15, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2016 #2
    So facebook will just disable the feature for German users right?

4. Jan 15, 2016 #3
    It may. In the article "In a statement, a spokeswoman for Facebook in Germany said it was waiting to receive the formal decision and would study the findings “to assess any impact on our services”."

5. Jan 15, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Not the "friend finder" is unlawful. Spamming all contacts of one's email account during registration with fb invitations is.

6. Jan 15, 2016 #5
    I don't know if I personally agree that if it's so serious that if should be against the law.
    But the fact is that I don't use fb very much. I only have it because some of my friends almost never use regular email and I have to have fb if I want to be in contact with them.
    I post a status or a photo very rarely as I have some serious issues with its privacy policy. That's why I prefer forums like this compared to fb groups. Why do all my friends need to see what I write in a group? Once I didn't realise my friends see my post in a certain group and I got a response from them immediately. It was a positive thing but it was something I wanted to remain secret.
    I think that fb was originally an innocent nice idea but it has grown into a monster.

To get back to original question, than more companies have serious problem as well. Like those annoying telemarketing companies, where do they get your phone number from? Or leaflets you get in your physical mailbox all the time. Some of the offers claiming you have won 10,000€ are even filed with your personal info like full name and address while you have NO IDEA how this company got it ! So if German court forbids fb spamming, they should also forbid these other practices. But maybe they are illegal in Germany, I don't know.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  7. Jan 16, 2016 #6

Astronuc

8. Jan 16, 2016 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Many of those things are illegal or at least of questionable legal status.
    And you can write "Bitte keine Werbung einwerfen" ("no advertisements please") on your mailbox, which gets rid of most advertisement stuff.

9. Jan 16, 2016 #8

fresh_42

The ruling was basically to protect those companies! When fb contacted non-members without permission via someone else's registration, it is considered as an unlawful advantage vis-à-vis other companies: distortion of competition.

10. Jan 16, 2016 #9

Astronuc

I like that!

11. Jan 17, 2016 #10
    Are you kidding, it was a monster from the start, didn't you see "The social network?"

Social_network_film_poster.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook