Get a Private Pilot License in College: How to Overcome Finances

  • Thread starter Thread starter Herricane
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Herricane
Messages
61
Reaction score
1
Has anybody obtained a private pilot license while in college?

I really want to learn how to fly for recreational purposes. Next semester I will be taking ground school and I wanted to learn to fly during the summer (perhaps summer 2012). I am not sure if I should learn how to fly during the summer instead of doing internships. It is not for sure if I will even have an internship or not, but I want to get experience under my belt. (By then I would be done with my second year of college.) Or can I do both during the same summer?

How did you overcome financial situations?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't taking flying lessons a bit of a hit in the wallet? From what I've heard you can basically do it during the weekends but I'm not completely sure. Awesome idea though.
 
I actually looked into this once because I also think it would be a fun thing to do also. As mentioned though, it is rather expensive since you have to pay an instructor and for the classes, at least 6-7K. From what I read, I think it would be difficult to work both full time and earn a pilots license in one summer. Not to say you couldn't do it but maybe consider spreading everything out over more time than that. You could start doing classes on weekends during school maybe? I think you would be better served by talking to a local flight school. A lot of it will depend on when/how often they offer classes and in flight instruction. Best of luck!
 
When I was an undergraduate, two of my Summers were spent doing research internships full time and learning to fly part-time. Ground school was 3 hrs x 2 evenings x 7 weeks. Around that, I managed to do the required reading and I would fly 1 to 3 times a week. It was indeed challenging in every aspect (discipline-wise), but was well worth it to me.

Nowadays, I don't fly year-round, but I'll set myself up to fly for a few months at a time, when the bug hits me, renting at local schools, as it's much more cost effective that way. The learning process is on going even after you get your license.
 
ehilge said:
I actually looked into this once because I also think it would be a fun thing to do also. As mentioned though, it is rather expensive since you have to pay an instructor and for the classes, at least 6-7K. From what I read, I think it would be difficult to work both full time and earn a pilots license in one summer. Not to say you couldn't do it but maybe consider spreading everything out over more time than that. You could start doing classes on weekends during school maybe? I think you would be better served by talking to a local flight school. A lot of it will depend on when/how often they offer classes and in flight instruction. Best of luck!

You are right. I need to talk to my local flight school. Thanks