I spent four of the years from 1997 to 2003 living single, without housemates, and without a TV. For two of these years, I had a TV because I rented a furnished apartment.
I read novels for in-house entertainment. (edit: including some "literature", but mainly just stuff that I found fun to read, e.g. murder mysteries)
I got married in 2003, and my wife and I now have a TV, but we have decided not to get cable or satellite. We receive a few strong signals, but because of the hills and rockfaces in our area, the video is unwatchable (audio is OK). We do occasionally rent DVD movies, but it has more than a month since our TV was on.
We're talking about renting some movies today, but the lengths of our "to do" lists (incuding, for me, composing a lengthy technical post on thrown watches) might prevent this.