How to get rid of the tool bars and parasite programs?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programs
In summary, I had been trying to get the PDF converter. I down loaded the program, but they also pull in all the craps that really mess up my computer. I start getting the BING, and extra tool bars when I go on internet. I tried going into uninstall programs and uninstalled all the new programs. But the tool bars still come up. It erased my Yahoo home page and I cannot set it back.How do I find and uninstall those parasite programs that don't even show up in the uninstall manual?Also, I just want to find a free program to convert word to PDF, how can I get one that don't have all these parasites?The Whitesmoke tool bar
yungman
I had been trying to get the PDF converter. I down loaded the program, but they also pull in all the craps that really mess up my computer. I start getting the BING, and extra tool bars when I go on internet.

I tried going into uninstall programs and uninstalled all the new programs. But the tool bars still come up. It erased my Yahoo home page and I cannot set it back.

How do I find and uninstall those parasite programs that don't even show up in the uninstall manual?

Also, I just want to find a free program to convert word to PDF, how can I get one that don't have all these parasites?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It is the Whitesmoke tool bar.

im assuming you are using internet explorer
try this:
open IE
Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Reset> Check Delete Personal Settings> Reset
once this is done, close IE and open it again
Tools> Internet Options> Advanced
Under Settings> Browsing
Uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions"
Click General Tab
Delete what ever is in the homepage and replace it with what you want your home page to be.
Click Security Tab
Click Reset all zones to default level
Click OK>Close and restart IE

then test to see how it works and let us know if you still have the problem or if its fixed.

Thanks for the reply, I am using Firefox.

with firefox (v13)
click the firefox button then click add ons
go through the list that's been installed. disable/remove the ones you don't want.

you can try http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
it shows you how to reset your toolbars and addons

Routaran said:
with firefox (v13)
click the firefox button then click add ons
go through the list that's been installed. disable/remove the ones you don't want.

you can try http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
it shows you how to reset your toolbars and addons

Thanks, I got on the site and learn how to disable the tool bar.

I have been looking for the programs for the toolbars. I want to delete all these. But I cannot find them in the programs for uninstalling in the control panel.

How do I look for these programs and others that are hidden?

i use 2 tools, process explorer and autoruns
process explorer will show you a list of all active processes and attached dll's
autoruns will show you a list of all the programs and services that start when the system boots.
then you can decide what you want to stop and delete and whatnot. just keep in mind that if you remove the wrong thing, you can effectively kill the system such that you may have no choice but to do a wipe and reinstall

1. How do I remove unwanted toolbars from my browser?

Most toolbars can be removed by going to the settings or options menu in your browser. Look for a section that allows you to manage extensions or add-ons, and then click on the toolbar you want to remove and select "uninstall."

2. What are parasite programs and how do I get rid of them?

Parasite programs are software that install themselves without your consent and can cause harm to your computer. To get rid of them, you can use an anti-malware or anti-virus program to scan for and remove any malicious programs on your computer.

3. Can I manually remove toolbars and parasite programs?

Yes, you can manually remove toolbars and parasite programs by going to the control panel on your computer and uninstalling any programs that you do not recognize or trust. However, using an anti-malware program is recommended for thorough removal.

4. Why do I keep getting unwanted toolbars and programs on my computer?

Unwanted toolbars and programs can be the result of downloading software from untrustworthy sources or clicking on malicious links. It is important to be cautious when downloading and to regularly scan your computer for any potential threats.

5. How can I prevent unwanted toolbars and parasite programs in the future?

To prevent unwanted toolbars and parasite programs, make sure to only download software from trusted sources and be cautious when clicking on links or downloading attachments. It is also important to regularly update your anti-malware and anti-virus software to protect against new threats.