Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get rid of the tool bars and parasite programs?

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    I had been trying to get the PDF converter. I down loaded the program, but they also pull in all the craps that really mess up my computer. I start getting the BING, and extra tool bars when I go on internet.

I tried going into uninstall programs and uninstalled all the new programs. But the tool bars still come up. It erased my Yahoo home page and I cannot set it back.

How do I find and uninstall those parasite programs that don't even show up in the uninstall manual?

Also, I just want to find a free program to convert word to PDF, how can I get one that don't have all these parasites?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2
    It is the Whitesmoke tool bar.

4. Jun 15, 2012 #3
    im assuming you are using internet explorer
    try this:
    open IE
    Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Reset> Check Delete Personal Settings> Reset
    once this is done, close IE and open it again
    Tools> Internet Options> Advanced
    Under Settings> Browsing
    Uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions"
    Click General Tab
    Delete what ever is in the homepage and replace it with what you want your home page to be.
    Click Security Tab
    Click Reset all zones to default level
    Click OK>Close and restart IE

then test to see how it works and let us know if you still have the problem or if its fixed.

5. Jun 15, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the reply, I am using Firefox.

6. Jun 15, 2012 #5
    with firefox (v13)
    click the firefox button then click add ons
    go through the list thats been installed. disable/remove the ones you dont want.

you can try http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
    it shows you how to reset your toolbars and addons

7. Jun 16, 2012 #6
    Thanks, I got on the site and learn how to disable the tool bar.

8. Jun 16, 2012 #7
    I have been looking for the programs for the toolbars. I want to delete all these. But I cannot find them in the programs for uninstalling in the control panel.

How do I look for these programs and others that are hidden?

9. Jun 16, 2012 #8
    i use 2 tools, process explorer and autoruns
    process explorer will show you a list of all active processes and attached dll's
    autoruns will show you a list of all the programs and services that start when the system boots.
    then you can decide what you want to stop and delete and whatnot. just keep in mind that if you remove the wrong thing, you can effectively kill the system such that you may have no choice but to do a wipe and reinstall

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook