Get the Bigoplus Symbol Just Like Knapp's Text

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol Text
In summary, Peter is looking for a Latex code to produce a bigoplus symbol, but is having trouble getting it to appear correctly. He has found a solution from another post and is grateful for the help.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I wish to get a bigoplus symbol like the one in Knapp's text, Basic Algebra, as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5395but when i use the Latex code

\bigoplus_{ (e,f) } \mathbb{K} (e, f)

I get the (e, f) in slightly the wrong place as here:

\(\displaystyle \bigoplus_{ (e,f) } \mathbb{K} (e, f)\)How can I get the same symbol as Knapp does?

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
I found that:

\bigoplus{}_{(e,f)}\mathbb{K}(e,f)

produces:

\(\displaystyle \bigoplus{}_{(e,f)}\mathbb{K}(e,f)\)

MarkFL said:
I found that:

\bigoplus{}_{(e,f)}\mathbb{K}(e,f)

produces:

\(\displaystyle \bigoplus{}_{(e,f)}\mathbb{K}(e,f)\)
Thanks Mark ... appreciate the help ...

Peter

Peter, please see https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?posts/37450/. It has some unquoted math delimiters in the middle, but the information is relevant.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Peter, please see https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?posts/37450/. It has some unquoted math delimiters in the middle, but the information is relevant.
Thanks Evgeny ... I thought there was another post on the topic but couldn't find it ...

Peter

1. What is the Bigoplus symbol and how does it differ from other symbols?

The Bigoplus symbol, also known as the direct sum symbol, is a mathematical symbol that represents the direct sum of two or more vector spaces. It differs from other symbols, such as the plus sign, because it takes into account the structure and relationships between vector spaces.

2. How is the Bigoplus symbol used in Knapp's text?

In Knapp's text, the Bigoplus symbol is used to denote the direct sum of algebraic structures, such as vector spaces, modules, and rings. It is commonly used in linear algebra, abstract algebra, and representation theory.

3. Can the Bigoplus symbol be used for more than two vector spaces?

Yes, the Bigoplus symbol can represent the direct sum of any number of vector spaces. For example, the direct sum of three vector spaces would be denoted as A ⊕ B ⊕ C.

4. Are there any other symbols that are similar to the Bigoplus symbol?

Yes, there are several symbols that are similar to the Bigoplus symbol, including the tensor product symbol (⊗) and the wedge product symbol ( ∧). These symbols also represent operations on vector spaces, but they differ in their specific definitions and applications.

5. Why is the Bigoplus symbol important in mathematics?

The Bigoplus symbol is important in mathematics because it allows us to represent and manipulate complex mathematical structures in a concise and efficient manner. It also has many applications in various fields of mathematics, including algebra, topology, and geometry.