Get the time axis right in an inverse Fast Fourier Transform

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Inverse Fast Fourier Transform (IFFT) function in MATLAB to transform S-parameter response data from a Vector Network Analyzer (VNA) into the time domain. However, there is an issue with the time scaling and the speaker is seeking help to correct it. The time step is determined by the formula Δt = 1/(NΔf), where N is the number of samples and Δf is the frequency increment. The data file provided shows a Δf value of 0.00125 GHz.
Nora
TL;DR Summary
time (distance) axis of Inverse Fast Fourier Transform (IFFT) from Vector Network Analyzer (VNA) S-parameter data.
Hi
I would like to transform the S-parameter responce, collected from a Vector Network Analyzer (VNA), in time domain by using the Inverse Fast Fourier Transform (IFFT) . I use MATLAB IFFT function to do this and the response looks correct, the problem is that I do not manage to the time scaling correct. The VNA has a build in time domain toolbox so I know how it should look like, see the figure below.
Return-Loss, time domain, VNA.jpg

In the figure below I have plotted the MATLAB transformed data with the index on x-axis (also zoomed in between N=0 to 20, N_max is 1600)
Return-Loss, time domain, MATLAB.jpg

At first I assumed that the increment on x-axis would be 1/bw/N_max where bw is the band width (i.e. f_max-f_min) and N_max is the number of samples. This is obviously wrong with a factor of 1e-3.
I would much appreciate if someone would like to help to get this correct! I have attached the S-matrix data in the txt file. First column is the frequency in GHz, second is real part of the response and third is imaginary part of the response.
My thanks in advance
/Thomas

Attachments

• Return-Loss, time domain, VNA.jpg
    Return-Loss, time domain, VNA.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 189
  • data.txt
    50 KB · Views: 211
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The time step is given by
$$
\Delta t = \frac{1}{N \Delta f}
$$
From the data file, it appears that ##\Delta f = 0.00125\ \mathrm{GHz}## (the frequencies appear to be rounded values).

Hi
Thanks for the answer! Yes, this makes sense.

1. What is an inverse Fast Fourier Transform (IFFT)?

An inverse Fast Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a signal in the frequency domain and converts it back to the time domain. This allows for the reconstruction of a signal that has been transformed into the frequency domain using a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT).

2. Why is it important to get the time axis right in an IFFT?

The time axis in an IFFT represents the order of the samples in the original signal. If the time axis is incorrect, the reconstructed signal will not accurately represent the original signal. This can lead to errors and inaccuracies in data analysis and interpretation.

3. How can the time axis be adjusted in an IFFT?

The time axis in an IFFT can be adjusted by changing the sampling rate or the length of the signal. The sampling rate determines the number of samples per unit time, while the length of the signal determines the total duration of the signal. Adjusting these parameters can help align the time axis with the original signal.

4. What are some common mistakes when trying to get the time axis right in an IFFT?

One common mistake is using the wrong sampling rate or signal length, which can result in a time axis that is not aligned with the original signal. Another mistake is not taking into account any phase shifts that may have occurred during the FFT, which can also affect the time axis.

5. Are there any tools or techniques that can help with getting the time axis right in an IFFT?

Yes, there are several tools and techniques that can help with getting the time axis right in an IFFT. These include using software programs that have built-in functions for IFFT, using a window function to reduce spectral leakage, and analyzing the phase information to ensure proper alignment of the time axis.