Finding an inverse Fourier transform using the Laplace transform

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of using the inverse Fourier transform to get a function back from its Laplace transform. It is mentioned that for the case where the region of convergence is ##real(s)>0##, the Fourier transform can be obtained by taking the limit ##\hat{F}(\omega) = \lim_{\sigma\rightarrow 0^+} F(\sigma + j \omega)## in the sense of generalized functions. An example is given for the function ##f(t) = u(t)##. It is also mentioned that this may be beyond the scope of the exercise. The conversation then moves on to discussing a specific solution to a differential equation and its Laplace transform.
PainterGuy
Hi,

This thread is an extension of this discussion where @DrClaude helped me. I thought that it'd be better to separate this question.

I couldn't find any other way to post my work other than as images so if any of the embedded images are not clear, just click on them. It'd make them clearer. I'd really appreciate if you can help me.

Original expression:
1587417117720.png

Laplace transform of the expression:
1587417154548.png

The graph of the expression is shown below.
1587417385474.png

78TZ91.jpg

ChkdVW.jpg

JaiscO.jpg

High res image for the above embedded image: https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/2191/JaiscO.jpg
iPI3pi.jpg

High res image for the above embedded image: https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/3007/iPI3pi.jpg
Matlab:
clear all; close all; clc;

sig=1;
b=2;
t=linspace(0,30,3000);

for it=1:3000 %index for t varible

f=@(w)(1/pi).*(((10.*(sig.^3-sig.*w.^2+b.*sig.^2+10.*sig-2.*sig.*w.^2-b.*w.^2))/(sqrt(w.^6+w.^4.*(b.^2+2.*b.*sig+3.*sig.^2-20)+w.^2.*(2.*b.^2.*sig.^2+4.*b.*sig.*(sig.^2+5)+3.*sig.^4+100)+(b.^2.*sig.^2+2.*b.*sig.*(sig.^2+10)+sig.^4+20.*sig.^2+100).*sig^2))).*cos(w.*t(it))+(10.*(2.*sig.^2.*w+sig.*b.*w+w.*sig.^2-w.^3+b.*sig.*w+10.*w)/(sqrt(w.^6+w.^4.*(b.^2+2.*b.*sig+3.*sig.^2-20)+w.^2.*(2.*b.^2.*sig.^2+4.*b.*sig.*(sig.^2+5)+3.*sig.^4+100)+(b.^2*sig.^2+2.*b.*sig.*(sig.^2+10)+sig.^4+20.*sig.^2+100).*sig.^2))).*sin(w.*t(it)));
F(it)=integral(f,0,100); %evaluating the integral from w=0 to w=100

endplot(F) % F is inverse Fourier transform of f(t)

Sadly there is something wrong and I'm not getting the original f(t)=1-(1/3)e^(-t)sin(3t)-e^(-t)cos(3t). Please see the plot below. Where am I going wrong?

?hash=9003b22fbe1379ce92f15af79df2e2f3.jpg

Attachments

• laplace_fourier_5.jpg
    laplace_fourier_5.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: I just realized that this was an older post from you. My first sentence is therefore probably wrong - this may be the first thread where you ask this question. Sorry if my reply seems a little impatient!

This is the second thread where you are doing the same thing: taking the Laplace transform of a function, then trying to use the inverse Fourier transform to get that function back.

This time the algebra is much messier than the first time (so I will not even attempt to check it), plus you now have the case where the region of convergence is ##real(s)>0##. To get the Fourier transform ##\hat{F}(\omega)## from the Laplace transform ##F(s)## for this case, it is NOT true that ##\hat{F}(\omega) = F(\sigma + j\omega)## for any ##\sigma>0##. To get the Fourier transform from the Laplace transform for this case, you basically need to do at limit: ##\hat{F}(\omega) = \lim_{\sigma\rightarrow 0^+} F(\sigma + j \omega)##, and that limit needs to be in the sense of generalized functions (distributions). For example, for ##f(t) = u(t)##, (which is part of your original function, of course),
$$ \begin{eqnarray*}
F(s) & = & \frac{1}{s}\\
\hat{F}(\omega) & = & \lim_{\sigma\rightarrow 0^+} F(\sigma + j \omega) \\
& = & \lim_{\sigma\rightarrow 0^+} \frac{1}{\sigma + j \omega} \\
& = & \pi \delta(\omega) + \frac{1}{j \omega}
\end{eqnarray*}
$$

To learn how to figure out those limits for yourself you need to learn a little about generalized functions (also called distribution theory). That would also let you know the proper way to interpret the ##1/j\omega## term (it isn't exactly what you think it is). But that seems way beyond the scope of your exercise. There might be a clever way to enable you to do what you seem to be trying to do, but I will leave that up to you and others to figure it out. I suspect it won't be a fruitful exercise.

Why don't you just find the Fourier transform of your signal in the first place? Then you will see that it has a delta function in it.

jason

Last edited:
Likes PainterGuy
jasonRF said:
EDIT: I just realized that this was an older post from you. My first sentence is therefore probably wrong - this may be the first thread where you ask this question. Sorry if my reply seems a little impatient!

No problem, Sir!

jasonRF said:
This is the second thread where you are doing the same thing: taking the Laplace transform of a function, then trying to use the inverse Fourier transform to get that function back.

Yes, I have been trying to understand Laplace transform, and how it relates to physical systems.

jasonRF said:
To get the Fourier transform from the Laplace transform for this case, you basically need to do at limit: ##\hat{F}(\omega) = \lim_{\sigma\rightarrow 0^+} F(\sigma + j \omega)##, and that limit needs to be in the sense of generalized functions (distributions). For example, for ##f(t) = u(t)##, (which is part of your original function, of course),
$$ \begin{eqnarray*}
F(s) & = & \frac{1}{s}\\
\hat{F}(\omega) & = & \lim_{\sigma\rightarrow 0^+} F(\sigma + j \omega) \\
& = & \lim_{\sigma\rightarrow 0^+} \frac{1}{\sigma + j \omega} \\
& = & \pi \delta(\omega) + \frac{1}{j \omega}
\end{eqnarray*}
$$

To learn how to figure out those limits for yourself you need to learn a little about generalized functions (also called distribution theory). That would also let you know the proper way to interpret the ##1/j\omega## term (it isn't exactly what you think it is). But that seems way beyond the scope of your exercise. There might be a clever way to enable you to do what you seem to be trying to do, but I will leave that up to you and others to figure it out. I suspect it won't be a fruitful exercise.

Actually I was working on this limit problem last night but couldn't make any sense of it.

\begin{eqnarray*}
& & \lim_{\sigma\rightarrow 0^+} \frac{1}{\sigma + j \omega} \\
\end{eqnarray*}

Anyway, the following expression which I mentioned in my first post in this thread:
1588558850538.png

is a solution to the differential equation y′′(t)+2y′(t)+10y(t)=10. The Laplace transform of expression is Y(s)=(4s+8) / (s²+2s+10). Later I was able to see that the expression, y(t)=1-(1/3)e^-t*sin(3t)-e^-t*cos(3t), doesn't have Fourier transform since the expression does not converge.

To resolve the issue, I instead used the differential equation, y′′(t)+2y′(t)+10y(t)=0. Its solution is y(t)=4e^-tcos(3t)+1.333e^-t*sin(3t). In this case y(t) converges and has Fourier transform. The laplace transform is Y(s)=(4s+8) / (s²+2s+10)

I was able to solve it and code it successfully. I didn't share the solution here because I had to change the original differential equation to a new one whose solution, y(t), converges, as stated above.

Thank you!

PainterGuy said:
Actually I was working on this limit problem last night but couldn't make any sense of it.

\begin{eqnarray*}
& & \lim_{\sigma\rightarrow 0^+} \frac{1}{\sigma + j \omega} \\
\end{eqnarray*}
It is not easy. What that relation means is that for any "nice" function ##\phi(\omega)##,
$$
\lim_{\sigma\rightarrow 0^+} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\phi(\omega)}{\sigma + j\omega} d\omega = \pi \phi(0) + \lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0^+}\left[ \int_{-\infty}^{-\epsilon} \frac{\phi(\omega)}{j\omega} d\omega + \int_{\epsilon}^\infty \frac{\phi(\omega)}{j\omega} d\omega \right]
$$

There are two standard ways of proving this. Perhaps the most common one for physicists and engineers uses contour integration from the theory of complex variables. A second way to prove it uses the theory of generalized functions, also called distribution theory. The different proofs will require different properties of the function ##\phi(\omega)## (that is, different definitions for what "nice" means).

Unless you are really familiar with complex variables and/or distribution theory, cases like ##u(t)## are better solved by directly computing the Fourier transform, since you should be able to just look up the answer in a table. That is why I think your approach of taking the Laplace transform then trying to transform it to a Fourier transform is not a good one in general. If you want the Fourier transform, just take Fourier transform. Why mess with the Laplace transform at all?

Jason

Likes PainterGuy
jasonRF said:
That is why I think your approach of taking the Laplace transform then trying to transform it to a Fourier transform is not a good one in general. If you want the Fourier transform, just take Fourier transform. Why mess with the Laplace transform at all?

Thank you for the advice. I was making it more complicated. I'm not familiar with complex variables and/or distribution theory but I understand it now.

1. What is an inverse Fourier transform?

An inverse Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function or signal from the frequency domain to the time domain. It is the inverse of the Fourier transform, which converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain.

2. How is an inverse Fourier transform related to the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a generalization of the Fourier transform that allows for the analysis of more complex functions, including those with exponential decay or growth. The inverse Fourier transform can be derived from the Laplace transform by setting the complex variable in the Laplace transform to zero.

3. What is the process for finding an inverse Fourier transform using the Laplace transform?

The process for finding an inverse Fourier transform using the Laplace transform involves first converting the function from the time domain to the frequency domain using the Laplace transform. Then, the complex variable is set to zero to obtain the inverse Fourier transform in the time domain.

4. What are the benefits of using the Laplace transform to find an inverse Fourier transform?

The Laplace transform can be used to find an inverse Fourier transform for a wider range of functions than the traditional Fourier transform. It also allows for the analysis of functions with exponential decay or growth, which cannot be analyzed using the Fourier transform alone.

5. Are there any limitations to finding an inverse Fourier transform using the Laplace transform?

While the Laplace transform can be used to find an inverse Fourier transform for a wider range of functions, it is not applicable to all functions. Some functions may require alternative methods for finding the inverse Fourier transform, such as the use of contour integration techniques.