1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting a degree in physics after MD?

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1
    I am an MBBS student currently in my third semester and I wanted to know that whether I can get a degree in physics after my MD (which I surely will be doing after my MBBS ). My interest in physics hasn't died down a bit since I left High school but well physics isn't much required in medicine so I won't be studying physics any more during my MBBS or MD so the question is can I get a degree in physics later in life and M.sc probably? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2
    Dude, you can but why? xD

4. Jan 5, 2013 #3
    But Why not?? :confused:

5. Jan 5, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Because

• It costs a lot of money
    • One degree will be useless since you won't work both as a physicist and an MD
    • You will have forgotten most of your medical studies once you finished with physics
    • You are not guaranteed to even like physics or be good at it

6. Jan 5, 2013 #5
    This guy studied medicine in the Netherlands (5-6 year program, I believe), and then went for a MD/PhD at Harvard. The good news is that MD-PhDs are funded. The bad news is I don't know how you'd be able to prove that you are qualified to conduct biophysics research.

Perhaps studying on your own, and acing the physics GRE and/or conducting research.

7. Jan 5, 2013 #6

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There is nothing to say you couldn't go on into physics after completing a medical degree. If you have the time and the money to do it, you'll likely be able to.

The practical issue of course is that most people after finishing an MD are expected to start working as medical doctors in a world where there certainly seems to be a lack of them. Based on the schedules of the physicians I know, completing another undergraduate degree is extremely impractical.

Some people will do it in the reverse though. They get an undergraduat degree in physics and then move on into medical school. There is some evidence to suggest that physics majors do quite well on the MCAT compared to other majors. Physics gives these physicians a strong fundation in fundamental science which they can build on in their medical careers.

8. Jan 5, 2013 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Also, in the USA at least, new MDs pretty much have to start working as doctors, and spend several years at it to pay off the debts that they incurred to pay for medical school. Medical schools are expensive in the USA. There are few scholarships for them, and many of those require some years of work afterwards. It's not like physics, where most PhD students get financial support via research or teaching assistantships.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook