1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting all three degrees from same university? (Math)

1. Apr 21, 2014 #1
    Question for anyone who has been on a Math professor hiring committee?

When you were applicants, was it positive, negative or neither if the applicant had all three degrees from the same university?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think the prestige of the university and its diversity of faculty would weigh more on the selection process than the fact that you got three degrees from the same place.

4. Apr 21, 2014 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I've only been on hiring committees for other academic positions, not math, but getting your degrees from the same institution has never been a factor in my experience.

The fallacy that may be in play here is that it is often stated that students should diversify their educational experience as much as possible. There is a lot to be gained from going to a different school for graduate studies from your graduate one... you learn different teaching styles, expand your networks, get exposed to different specialties, etc.

But that doesn't mean that staying on one place is bad or is frowned upon. Sometimes that's actually the best option for a student. And it won't count against him or her when competing for academic positions. There are too many other factors to worry about.

5. Apr 22, 2014 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Emlekarc, this is 10-15 years in your future, and maybe the fourth thread you have posted on this. Obsessing on something this far in the future is not helpful, and is like a Little League player worrying about whether someday he will be on the Yankees or whether it will be the Red Sox. You need to focus on the here and now - getting good grades in the classes you are taking.

6. May 9, 2014 #5
    This is more geared towards those who have been involved in hiring new professors, but is it common to see an applicant with all three degrees from the same university? Does it look bad if they do?

The university I'm currently at has some prestigious faculty (I was talking to one of the professors I know and he mentioned how students come here for their departments reputation). That and all of their PhD graduates have jobs; all of them since 2008 are employed as either professors or as mathematicians within companies.

Does it look bad if I were to receive all three degrees from the same university? Do most allow their students to go on to graduate programs?

7. May 9, 2014 #6
    I know in general it is preferred to go to different schools for undergrad and grad school. Apparently it may seem like someone else is doing your work. Not sure how true it is or how it applies to your situation though.

8. May 9, 2014 #7
    The problem with this is that universities may get the impression that you did not get in anywhere else and so your last university let you stay there. Some math departments also have a general policy of not accepting their own undergraduates into the graduate program. Of course, if you like your current university and there are many opportunities available to you, then you may benefit by staying there. Most of the time, if everything else on your application looks good, employers likely will not be concerned about you getting all your degrees from one university.

On a side note, it is usually two degrees at a PhD includes the MsC coursework. Also, as Vanadium 50 pointed out in a recent, similar thread (which you should check out for more information: https://www.physicsforums.com.prx.websiteproxy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=749384 and you should look at the "Related Discussions" threads at the bottom of this page or use the search function), you should also ask yourself "would I learn more by going somewhere else?".

9. May 9, 2014 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It seems to be mostly an american thing that says that you shouldn't get all degrees from the same university. Staying in the same university is actually recommended here by most professors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook