Getting cable TV on my laptop - i.e. sans Internet?

In summary, the conversation was about a sister who has dial-up internet and wants to watch movies on her laptop outside without having to drag a TV along. Various options were discussed, such as using a DVD player or purchasing a video card, but it was eventually suggested to use an antenna/converter dongle. The sister's preference for a low-cost solution was also mentioned. The conversation ended with a humorous reference to a science fiction novel.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Is it possible /convenient / inexpensive to plug cable TV into a laptop so you can watch TV on it?
Long story short:

Sister has dial-up internet* on laptop, can't stream movies.
Wants receive network cable to her laptop (wired or wireless) so she can watch movies outside without dragging the TV along.

(I know it was once possible to buy a video card to slot into a desktop box that would do this, but this is a laptop).*for those unfamiliar with such a thing, ask your grandparents

Computer science news on Phys.org
SiliconDust made (maybe still makes) boxes that are TV tuners on one end and ethernet on the other. If plugging in is not acceptable, one could connect this to Wifi.

Likes jedishrfu
Thanks, I'll forward these ideas to her.

jedishrfu said:
Is a DVD player out of the question?

This implies using DVDs though.

It might not be possible to view Blu-ray unless the player supports it. Of course an old computer may have issues with playing dvds from a dvd drive too due primarily to slowness in processing the video stream through the cpu.

I’ve used the Elgato EyeTV USB dongle to receive over-the-air broadcasts from an antenna on my laptop and desktop computers. I think it also handles cable TV signals, at least the unscrambled or unencrypted ones.

Likes DaveC426913
Dish provides an app that let's me access the DVR over the local network. On my iPad (and supposedly on my computer, though I've never tried it), I can watch recorded shows or use the DVR as a tuner. Does her cable TV company offer something similar?

:sigh: I forgot who my sister is.

She doesn't have cable either.

So, what she's going to want is an antenna/converter dongle.

Or she can drag her DVD player outside. (I think she was hoping to leave the DVD player inside, and route it to her lappie).

jtbell said:
I’ve used the Elgato EyeTV USB dongle to receive over-the-air broadcasts from an antenna on my laptop
Yeah. This.

Now, since this is my sister, it has to cost < 12 cents. :rolleyes:

(Did I forget to mention that extra criteria? Welcome to my sister's world.)

Last edited:
"Stranger In A Strange Land" anyone?:eek:

(a 1961 science fiction novel by American author Robert A. Heinlein.)

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
DaveC426913 said:
Summary: Is it possible /convenient / inexpensive to plug cable TV into a laptop so you can watch TV on it?

Long story short:

Sister has dial-up internet* on laptop, can't stream movies.
Wants receive network cable to her laptop (wired or wireless) so she can watch movies outside without dragging the TV along.

(I know it was once possible to buy a video card to slot into a desktop box that would do this, but this is a laptop).*for those unfamiliar with such a thing, ask your grandparents

informative trick i learn from your post grate thanks

DaveC426913 said:
:sigh: I forgot who my sister is. [snip]
Tom.G said:
"Stranger In A Strange Land" anyone?:eek:

(a 1961 science fiction novel by American author Robert A. Heinlein.)

Wait. DaveC42...'s sister was raised on Mars? I grok.
(You have to read the novel :cool:)

Klystron said:
Wait. DaveC42...'s sister was raised on Mars?
Lol. . . I wonder if she's ever met Linda ? . :alien:

1. Can I get cable TV on my laptop without an internet connection?

Yes, you can get cable TV on your laptop without an internet connection. This can be achieved by using a TV tuner card or USB stick which allows your laptop to receive cable TV signals directly.

2. Do I need a special device or software to get cable TV on my laptop?

Yes, you will need a TV tuner card or USB stick that is compatible with your laptop's operating system. Some laptops may already have a built-in TV tuner, but if not, you will need to purchase one separately.

3. Will I have access to all the same channels as I do with a regular cable box?

It depends on the cable provider and the type of cable TV service you have. Some cable TV services may offer limited channels for viewing on a laptop, while others may offer the same channels as your regular cable box. It's best to check with your cable provider for more information.

4. Can I watch cable TV on my laptop from any location?

In most cases, you will only be able to watch cable TV on your laptop within your home network. This means that you must be connected to the same cable network as your cable TV service. Some cable providers may offer the option to stream cable TV on their mobile app, which may allow you to watch from outside your home network.

5. Is there an additional cost for getting cable TV on my laptop?

There may be an additional cost for purchasing a TV tuner card or USB stick, as well as any necessary software. Some cable providers may also charge an extra fee for accessing cable TV on a laptop. It's best to check with your cable provider for any additional costs associated with getting cable TV on your laptop.