Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting information about a physics phd

1. Sep 25, 2006 #1
    I have started my Master's programme in physics and i'm getting information about a physics phd. One question seems to keep coming up, will you go for 2 phd's?

I'm interested in theoretical partical physics, but is it worth getting another phd in another field in physics? Can you do 2 phd programmes at once? How long?

Any advice on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

-matt

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure that's even possible to accomplish?

4. Sep 25, 2006 #3
    There is a guy at my university who will soon be holding a seminar for students in biology that has a PhD in Theology, PhD in Evolutionary Biology and DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) degrees. So yes while it is possible to have multiple PhD's I can not even imagine how you could be working on more than one at a time.

5. Sep 25, 2006 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's what I was talking about.

Doing two at the same time.

Asimov had like 20 doctorate degree. Not sure how many, but he did say he lost count.

6. Sep 25, 2006 #5
    i'm aware that many people do get more than one phd, but what i was asking was, is it beneficial?

Pdh in math and physics, something along those lines.

7. Sep 25, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If your interests bridge two fields, it would probably be more efficient to try to get co-mentors and do your PhD project jointly with them to cover both fields. Pick one as your main department, and then just supplement additional coursework as needed for your research area.

For example, we have neuroscience faculty who bring in engineering students to work on projects involving computational methods in imaging (i.e., MRI).

The only time it would make sense to do a second degree is if the fields are completely unrelated, but usually that's something that's done more for a thirst for knowledge (or masochism) than because it would help with a career. For example, Georgina and I both know someone who already had an MD/PhD and who somewhat recently got a doctorate in theology, but that's more because theology is an avocation more so than something you do as a way of furthering a career.

8. Sep 26, 2006 #7

J77

In a lot of countries - not sure about the US - it's possible to obtain a PhD through the submission of several good papers.

I don't really see the point of having two though - unless you want supreme bragging rights, or something...

9. Sep 26, 2006 #8
    maybe he just wants to be called Doctor, Doctor.

10. Sep 26, 2006 #9

J77

I feel like a pair of curtains...

11. Sep 26, 2006 #10

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He had a doctorate in biochemistry. The rest, 14 apparently, were honorary:

http://www.asimovonline.com/asimov_FAQ.html

12. Sep 26, 2006 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?