Physics education PhD then MSc Physics

In summary: The program you are looking at sounds like it has a good balance of teaching and research, so it may be a good option for you if you want to pursue a research career in physics. In summary, a PhD in physics education would not enable you to research in a different area of physics, such as condensed matter, and an MS in physics would not provide the same training.
dwd40physics
Hi,

I am currently a physics teacher at secondary school level (high school). I have been offered to do a PhD in physics education in an area of research that interests me and relates to physics teaching. I am aware that physics education PhDs might not open up as many career opportunities outside of teaching however I wasn't sure if this PhD would enable me to lecture at university level later on ?

While teaching physics has been and still is of great interest to me I would like to at some point to pursue own intellectual interests in physics research - if I wanted to be able to research in a different area of physics e.g. condensed matter would this be possible with a PhD in physics education ? I was thinking of doing an MSc in theoretical physics or condensed matter after the physics education PhD for my own interests and I wasn't sure if the MSc in a related research area with a PhD in non-related area would enable me to research in a different field than physics education.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dwd40physics said:
however I wasn't sure if this PhD would enable me to lecture at university level later on ?
Lecture in what classes? Education classes?

dwd40physics said:
I am currently a physics teacher at secondary school level (high school). I have been offered to do a PhD in physics education in an area of research that interests me and relates to physics teaching.
By this, I suppose that you have an offer from a specific university. Could you disclose it ? Is it a Ph.D. in physics or a Ph.D. in education?
dwd40physics said:
if I wanted to be able to research in a different area of physics e.g. condensed matter would this be possible with a PhD in physics education ?
Not without specific training in those fields. I doubt that an MS in a pure physics discipline and a Ph.D. in physics education would get you as far as a Ph.D. in that discipline.

I would guess that there are fewer universities doing research in physics education than in condensed matter research thus limiting career choices.

OP:

* I never heard of a PhD in physics education before, so I looked up a number of programs. There are sufficient variations that we need more details from you. For example, some programs are setup as interdisciplinary programs between the dept of physics and the dept of education. You are admitted through one of the depts, and the details of the programs depend on the dept you enroll in. For example, in a couple of programs I looked at, if you enroll through the physics dept, you must take the same required grad physics courses and pass the same required qual exam as the regular physics PhD students. If your program is structured this way, then obviously there would be no point in getting a follow-on MS Physics. So how is your program structured?

* Regardless of the formal course and exam requirements, your thesis research and dissertation will be focussed on a topic in physics education, not on a technical topic in physics per se. Therefore, if you later want to do research in a technical topic (e.g., condensed matter), you will not have the proper research training and experience. Even if you later were to pursue a mainstream MS Physics with a thesis requirement (many don't have one), any research training and experience you gain there will be considerably abbreviated relative to that which you would gain in a full mainstream PhD Physics thesis program.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes gleem and berkeman

1. What is the difference between a PhD in Physics Education and an MSc in Physics?

A PhD in Physics Education focuses on the research and application of teaching and learning methods in the field of physics, while an MSc in Physics is a more traditional degree that focuses on advanced coursework and research in physics. The PhD in Physics Education also includes coursework in education and pedagogy, while the MSc in Physics primarily focuses on physics-specific coursework.

2. Can I pursue a PhD in Physics Education without a background in education?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in Physics Education without a background in education. However, some programs may require applicants to have a certain number of education-related courses or experience in teaching. It is important to research the specific requirements of each program before applying.

3. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in Physics Education?

With a PhD in Physics Education, you can pursue a career as a physics educator in universities, colleges, or high schools. You can also work as a curriculum developer, education researcher, or consultant for educational institutions or organizations. Some graduates also choose to work in science outreach and communication roles.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Physics Education?

The length of a PhD program in Physics Education can vary depending on the institution and the individual's pace of study. On average, it can take 4-6 years to complete a PhD program, including coursework, research, and dissertation writing.

5. Is a PhD in Physics Education worth it?

Whether a PhD in Physics Education is worth it depends on your career goals and interests. If you are passionate about teaching and want to make a significant impact in the field of physics education, then a PhD may be worth it for you. It can also open up opportunities for higher-paying and more specialized roles in academia and education-related industries.