1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting into research Quantum computing

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    I wanted to get into research and so far it seems like a fairly easy process. I want to delve into the world of quantum computing, but unfortunately there are currently no professors at my school who research that topic. So I wanted to start my own research team with a professor and find a way to create a working quantum computer.

I am currently a sophomore undergrad at the University of Reno. Unfortunately there are no classes that discuss such matters. I'm afraid that I do not currently posses the knowledge to start researching such a subject.

Next semester I will take quantum I and solid state physics. Over the summer I will try to teach myself quantum II and read all of the lectures concerning quantum computing posted by universities such as Berkeley and such. I want to start researching as of Fall 2010.

Please give my some suggestions as to what courses or subjects I should know before I hit uncharted ground in respects to Quantum Computing. Since I will be the only one doing this at my school I will have to know all the background material that a professor conducting this type of research would need to know. If you also have any other advice regarding research please let me know.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2
    It is a risky and difficult field.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but without an expert who is on the top of the field, it'd be very hard to get attention, especially at your stage.

Why don't you start off with something close, like Solid State, or Quantum Mechanics, and make your plans accordingly for the future...?

To hit uncharted territory in Quantum, you must be an expert in quantum mechanics, cryptography, number theory, complex analysis, differential equations, and what not. Plus you'd need to be able to filter out what's worth researching and what's not (which is usually much more difficult than simply covering the material).

Be patient, start reading, building a background, you have all your life ahead of you. And for research, do something that could be FRUITFUL... considering your resources.

Investing the same amount of energy and motivation to something more reasonable (where you can find experts in YOUR school) you can triple your chances of getting into a good graduate school which would give you some freedom on your future ambitions.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook