1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting started on proving this

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

6a. Prove that if 0 is less than or equal to x which is less than y, then x^n < y^n, n = 1, 2, 3...

b. Prove that if x < y and n is odd, then x^n < y ^n.

c. Prove that if x^n = y^n and n is odd, then x = y.

d. Prove that if x^n = y^n and n is even, then x = y or x = -y.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My problem is I'm so confused no how to start this proving something for all n. My attempt at 6a is 6a. I'm not sure how I would do this but my start: x^n < y^n. N = 1, so x < y. If n is two, you can start with x < y. Then you square both sides to get x^n < y^n. Etc. But...how do I prove this for all n?

Logically, I understand why b-d is true, but I have no idea how to prove this. I can probably prove this for specific numbers, but how do I do this for all n? Can someone please provide me with some assistance? I'm supposed to hand in a problem explaining this tomorrow.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To prove it by induction the first step is to check whether the statement:

If 0 <= x < y then x^n < y^n

is true for n = 1. That statement is:

If 0 <= x < y then x^1 < y^1, which is obviously true.

I think setting up the induction step is what is bothering you. For the induction step you must show that if the statement is true for n = k then it is true for n = k + 1. So to do the induction step you assume the statement is true for n = k, so you are given:

(*) If 0 <= x < y then x^k < y^k

and what you want to prove is that it is true for n = k + 1:

(**) If 0 <= x < y then x^(k+1) < y^(k+1)

So see if you can use that fact that x < y and that (*) is assumed to be true to get the step that (**) must then be true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook