Getting started with Texmaker (Linux)

• Thread starter Glass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, the conversation is about using LaTeX on a forum and learning how to write documents with it. The individual has Texmaker installed but is having trouble creating a PDF or document. They are looking for help and have tried configuring Texmaker's quick build option to use PdfLaTeX + View PDF, but it is still not working. Suggestions are given to download MikTex and reinstall Texmaker in order to make it work.
Glass
Hi,

I understand how to use LATEX on this forum, but I was hoping to learn how to write actual documents using it. I have Texmaker installed on my computer (if there's a better editor, do tell), and I have no idea how to create a pdf or document or whatever I can create with this program. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
In Texmaker, go to the options->configure Texmaker and then under quick build set up your preference to be thge PdfLaTeX + View PDF...

I have used a fair number of the LaTeX editors out there, this one is as good as anyother and because it is free, you can't beat it. Couple of quirks, I need to do a little more investigation to check on them...

Thanks for the reply. But even after doing that, I still can't seem to make a pdf, ps, etc. When I try to go to quick build I always get one of two errors:
1) "Log File not found!"
2) "Could not start the command."
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?

Did you install MikTeX? when you have, then reinstall TeXmaker and you should be up and running.

For getting the "Could not start the command" I have been through a lot trying to get it to work on Windows (Vista) and it works for me.

First of all, if you did not install Miktex (or a similar program) to do the processing for Texmaker, then it won't work. I was in that situation, as I didn't realize there was another program you had to download required to make it work. If you haven't downloaded another program to make it work, then you need to download a program like Miktex. (Miktex is also free, so no worries, but it is a pretty big download.)

If you installed Texmaker, and then Installed Miktex, you need to uninstall Texmaker, and then re-instal Texmaker.

I selected "PDFLatex + view PDF" under Opotions, Configure, and then Quick Build. (I also input the right address for PDF viewer in the view PDF part)

Then it should work. I can't be sure about anything non-basic (such as in the original post) but it works for test pages.

1. What is Texmaker and how does it work on Linux?

Texmaker is a free, open-source program that allows users to create and edit LaTeX documents on Linux. LaTeX is a typesetting language that is commonly used for creating technical or scientific documents. Texmaker provides a user-friendly interface and various tools to make the process of creating LaTeX documents easier.

2. How do I install Texmaker on Linux?

The process of installing Texmaker on Linux may vary depending on your specific operating system. However, most Linux distributions offer Texmaker through their package manager. You can also download the source code from the Texmaker website and compile it yourself. Alternatively, you can use the command line to install Texmaker using a command such as "sudo apt-get install texmaker" for Debian-based distributions.

3. Can I use Texmaker for collaborative work on Linux?

Yes, Texmaker has a built-in feature called "synctex" that allows for real-time collaboration on LaTeX documents. This feature allows multiple users to work on the same document simultaneously and see changes made by others in real-time. Synctex also allows for easy navigation between different parts of the document, making collaborative work more efficient.

4. How do I set up a new project in Texmaker on Linux?

To create a new project in Texmaker, click on "File" and then "New". You can then choose the type of document you want to create (e.g. article, report, book) and set the document properties such as title, author, and date. Texmaker also provides templates for different types of documents that you can use as a starting point for your project.

5. Are there any useful features in Texmaker that can help with writing LaTeX documents on Linux?

Texmaker offers many useful features to assist with writing LaTeX documents on Linux, such as auto-completion of commands and symbols, spell-checking, and a built-in PDF viewer. It also has a syntax highlighting feature that makes it easier to identify different elements in your document. Additionally, Texmaker has a "quick build" option that allows you to compile and view your document with just one click.