Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting started with Texmaker (Linux)

1. May 5, 2007 #1

I understand how to use LATEX on this forum, but I was hoping to learn how to write actual documents using it. I have Texmaker installed on my computer (if there's a better editor, do tell), and I have no idea how to create a pdf or document or whatever I can create with this program. Any help?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2007 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In Texmaker, go to the options->configure Texmaker and then under quick build set up your preference to be thge PdfLaTeX + View PDF.....

I have used a fair number of the LaTeX editors out there, this one is as good as anyother and because it is free, you can't beat it. Couple of quirks, I need to do a little more investigation to check on them.....
  4. May 6, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the reply. But even after doing that, I still can't seem to make a pdf, ps, etc. When I try to go to quick build I always get one of two errors:
    1) "Log File not found!"
    2) "Could not start the command."
    Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?
  5. May 6, 2007 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you install MikTeX???? when you have, then reinstall TeXmaker and you should be up and running.
  6. Jun 30, 2009 #5
    For getting the "Could not start the command" I have been through a lot trying to get it to work on Windows (Vista) and it works for me.

First of all, if you did not install Miktex (or a similar program) to do the processing for Texmaker, then it won't work. I was in that situation, as I didn't realize there was another program you had to download required to make it work. If you haven't downloaded another program to make it work, then you need to download a program like Miktex. (Miktex is also free, so no worries, but it is a pretty big download.)

If you installed Texmaker, and then Installed Miktex, you need to uninstall Texmaker, and then re-instal Texmaker.

I selected "PDFLatex + view PDF" under Opotions, Configure, and then Quick Build. (I also input the right address for PDF viewer in the view PDF part)

Then it should work. I can't be sure about anything non-basic (such as in the original post) but it works for test pages.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?