Online LateX Editors: Finding the Right Fit

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the individual is looking for an online LaTeX editor that allows for document creation and saving as a PDF with contents. They have tried using Overleaf, but have encountered issues with copying and pasting from MHB, specifically with certain math calls not being recognized. They are also looking for an editor that has good equation creation capabilities and a preview feature. They have tried using Word, but found it too cumbersome when switching between forums and Word. They ask if anyone else is experiencing similar issues and also mention the lack of \displaystyle functionality and an expand window for the "Enter LateX code here" section.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
I have been trying to save certain problems that are solved here on MHB but the copy and paste the the final post to an online LateX editor. The features I am looking is do it as a document so I can save as a PDF with contents and such.

I am trying for now Overleaf their free version. So far not a bad program. But cut and paste from MHB seems to have issues and some math calls are not recognized like \arccosh, also here and there problems with the $$
Not sure what editor is ideal for the features I want. some are really good creating equations but then no preview if your doing a document. also Interactive Latex Editor was very cool but if leave the site and come back ... gonzo

Also I notice if the post has been created in an outside editor and c/p into MHB there's a lot of extra code to fool with which isn't great for the process of solving a problem.

I was using Word, but that is way too much gymnastics if you going back and forth between forums and Word.

is anybody else going thru this jungle.

while I'm whining.. how come you don't have \displaystyle on the menu and there still is no expand window on the "Enter LateX code here:" to much scrolling...

Physics news on Phys.org
Our $\LaTeX$ Live Preview element is designed to expand as needed...for example this is what I see when I enter multiple lines of text:

View attachment 6005

What browser are you using?

To easily get [m]\displaystyle[/m] functionality, click the [Σ] button.

Our live preview is meant to be an area where you can build $\LaTeX$, make sure it renders correctly, and then copy it to your post. It's not meant to generate code for, or render code from, other environments.

Attachments

• latexpreviewexpands.png
    latexpreviewexpands.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 62

1. What is an online LaTeX editor?

An online LaTeX editor is a web-based tool that allows users to write and edit LaTeX code without having to install any software on their computer. It provides a convenient and accessible way for users to create high-quality documents with advanced typesetting capabilities.

2. How do I choose the right online LaTeX editor?

The right online LaTeX editor for you will depend on your personal preferences and needs. Some factors to consider when choosing an editor include its features, user interface, collaboration capabilities, and pricing. It's also helpful to read reviews and try out different editors to see which one works best for you.

3. Are there any free options for online LaTeX editors?

Yes, there are several free options for online LaTeX editors, such as Overleaf, ShareLaTeX, and Papeeria. These editors offer a basic set of features for free, with the option to upgrade to a paid plan for more advanced features and collaboration options.

4. Can I collaborate with others in an online LaTeX editor?

Yes, most online LaTeX editors offer collaboration capabilities, allowing multiple users to work on the same document simultaneously. This can be useful for group projects or when working with co-authors on a research paper.

5. Is it safe to use an online LaTeX editor for sensitive documents?

It is generally safe to use an online LaTeX editor for sensitive documents as long as you choose a reputable and secure editor. Most editors use encryption and other security measures to protect your documents. It's also important to follow good security practices, such as using a strong password and logging out of the editor when not in use.