Getting variance from known correlation

In summary, the two variables have the same distribution and the sum of the two is the same as the original variable.
das1
Suppose X and Y have the same distribution, and Corr(X,Y) = -0.5. Find V[X+Y].

I know that Corr(X,Y)*SD[X]SD[Y] = Cov(X,Y)

and also V[X+Y] = V[X] + V[Y] + 2Cov(X,Y)

So there must be a missing link, maybe an identity, that I'm not realizing. I think the fact that the 2 variables have the same distribution is probably important, I'm just not sure how.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
das said:
Suppose X and Y have the same distribution, and Corr(X,Y) = -0.5. Find V[X+Y].

I know that Corr(X,Y)*SD[X]SD[Y] = Cov(X,Y)

and also V[X+Y] = V[X] + V[Y] + 2Cov(X,Y)

So there must be a missing link, maybe an identity, that I'm not realizing. I think the fact that the 2 variables have the same distribution is probably important, I'm just not sure how.

Thanks!

Hey das! (Smile)

Since X and Y have the same distribution, we have that V[Y]=V[X] and SD[Y]=SD[X].
What if you substitute that and combine the equations you already have?

Hi thank you!

So substituting that we have something like $$-0.5 = \frac{Cov(X,Y)}{SD[X]^2}$$ and $$V[X+Y] = 2V[X] + 2Cov[X+Y]$$ Wouldn't we still need to know more info, like what Cov(X,Y) is, before solving? And we can't get those without knowing what SD[X] or V[X] are (or SD[Y] or V[Y]). Don't we need one more constant here?

Last edited:
OK, did it all out and got
$$\frac{-var(X)}{2} = cov(X,Y)$$
then $$-var(X) = 2cov(X,Y)$$
then $$V[X+Y] = V[X] = V[Y]$$
I was thinking I needed a constant but not sure if that's possible here...is there a way I can actually make this a constant or is this as simple as it can get?

Yep. That's it and it is as simple as it can get. (Nod)

Note that if X and Y were uncorrelated, we would have $V[X+Y] = 2V[X]^2$.
Now that X and Y are negative correlated by a factor of $-\frac 1 2$ that factor of $2$ effectively disappears.

1. How do you calculate variance from a known correlation?

To calculate variance from a known correlation, you can use the formula: variance = correlation * standard deviation of X * standard deviation of Y.

2. What is the relationship between correlation and variance?

Correlation measures the strength and direction of the linear relationship between two variables, while variance measures the spread of data around the mean. A higher correlation indicates a stronger relationship, which can result in a smaller variance. Conversely, a lower correlation indicates a weaker relationship and can result in a larger variance.

3. Can variance be negative if the correlation is positive?

No, variance cannot be negative regardless of the correlation between two variables. Variance is always a positive value, as it measures the squared differences from the mean.

4. How does changing the correlation affect the variance?

Changing the correlation between two variables can affect the variance in two ways. If the correlation increases, the variance may decrease as the data points become more closely clustered around the line of best fit. If the correlation decreases, the variance may increase as the data points become more spread out.

5. Can you have a high variance and a high correlation at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to have a high variance and a high correlation at the same time. This occurs when the data points are tightly clustered around the line of best fit, but the range of values is large. It is also possible to have a low variance and a high correlation, if the data points are closely clustered and have a small range of values.