Gibbs Free Energy Change/Entropy

In summary: This is not a strict rule however, since it is possible for a reaction to proceed spontaneously even if deltaH is positive, if TdeltaS is large enough. In summary, the second law of thermodynamics states that for a reaction to proceed spontaneously, the Gibbs free energy change must be negative. This is derived from the fact that entropy is the driving force for spontaneous processes. However, there are exceptions where a reaction can still proceed spontaneously with a positive Gibbs free energy change if the entropy change is large enough.
sidnake
Hi, seen as it's Physical Chemistry I am asking about and Physical Chemistry is essentially applied Physics I figured that it would be okay to ask here. I have an exam this tuesday, and my lecturer went over some seminar questions. He provided answers to the calculations but did not provide answers to the worded questions, and I'm getting a bit confused on this one.

As I understand so far, as a reaction proceeds if the Gibbs free Energy change decreases then the reaction is spontaenous.
ΔrGθprodfGθreactfGθ
So if the products had a Gibbs Free Energy that was lower than the reactants Gibbs Free Energy then the Standard Gibbs energy of the reaction ΔrGθ would be a negative number. Indicating the reaction proceeded in the forward direction.

In my seminar however we were asked the following question,
"What is the second law of thermodynamics? By considering changes in both the system of
interest and the surroundings, explain how this law leads to the fact that the Gibbs free energy change for a reaction is negative when the reaction is likely to proceed. "
I've been looking in my textbook, but to be honest I'm a bit confused.

Could someone help me in understanding this question, and maybe providing a model answer so I can understand this concept for my exam on tuesday. Even if this is unlikely to come up because it is on the seminar, I feel it would be unwise to proceed to the next year not understanding this. Especially as physical chemistry is my weak spot.

Thanks Alex

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thankyou very much for replying, I'm new to this forum and totally overlooked searching for previously asked questions. Thankyou for responding in a kind manner.

I think I understand the concept now, am I right in thinking that you could have a reaction that proceeded spontaenously even with a positive Gibbs Free energy, if Delta H was very large, and T and Delta S very small?

sidnake said:
Thankyou very much for replying, I'm new to this forum and totally overlooked searching for previously asked questions. Thankyou for responding in a kind manner.

I think I understand the concept now, am I right in thinking that you could have a reaction that proceeded spontaenously even with a positive Gibbs Free energy, if Delta H was very large, and T and Delta S very small?
If the reaction is at constant T and P, no, a reaction can not proceed if deltaG is positive. Entropy is effectively the definition of a process being spontaneous or not and thermodynamic free energies are different ways to dress up the second law in terms of system variables. If deltaG is positive, at constant T and P, then the reaction will not proceed spontaneously.

If deltaH is very large, TdeltaS must be even larger to compensate and vice versa.

Last edited:

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any spontaneous process, the entropy of the universe increases. This means that as a reaction proceeds, the overall disorder or randomness of the universe increases.

In the context of Gibbs free energy change, this means that as a reaction proceeds, the entropy of the system increases while the entropy of the surroundings decreases. This is because the system is becoming more disordered, while the surroundings, which are typically the rest of the universe, are becoming more ordered.

Now, when we consider the equation for Gibbs free energy change, we can see that it takes into account both the entropy of the system and the entropy of the surroundings. As the entropy of the system increases, it contributes to a more negative value for ΔrGθ. At the same time, as the entropy of the surroundings decreases, it also contributes to a more negative value for ΔrGθ. This means that as the reaction proceeds, both the system and the surroundings are becoming more disordered, leading to a negative value for ΔrGθ.

In other words, the second law of thermodynamics tells us that for a reaction to be spontaneous, the overall entropy of the universe must increase. And since the equation for Gibbs free energy change takes into account the entropy changes of both the system and the surroundings, a negative value for ΔrGθ indicates that the reaction is likely to proceed.

I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. Good luck on your exam!

1. What is Gibbs Free Energy Change?

Gibbs Free Energy Change, also known as Gibbs Energy or Free Energy, is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the amount of energy available to do useful work in a chemical or physical system at a constant temperature and pressure. It takes into account both the enthalpy (heat energy) and entropy (disorder) of a system to determine whether a reaction is spontaneous (exergonic) or non-spontaneous (endergonic).

2. How is Gibbs Free Energy Change related to entropy?

Gibbs Free Energy Change is directly related to entropy through the equation: ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and ΔS is the change in entropy. This equation shows that as entropy increases (positive ΔS), ΔG becomes more negative and the reaction becomes more spontaneous. Alternatively, as entropy decreases (negative ΔS), ΔG becomes more positive and the reaction becomes less spontaneous.

3. What is the difference between ΔG and ΔH?

ΔG and ΔH are both thermodynamic quantities that measure changes in energy in a system. However, ΔG takes into account both the enthalpy and entropy of a system, while ΔH only takes into account the enthalpy (heat energy). ΔH is a measure of the total energy change in a system, while ΔG is a measure of the available energy to do useful work.

4. How is Gibbs Free Energy Change used in chemical reactions?

Gibbs Free Energy Change is used to predict the spontaneity of a chemical reaction. If ΔG is negative, the reaction is spontaneous and will proceed on its own. If ΔG is positive, the reaction is non-spontaneous and will not proceed without an input of energy. By calculating ΔG for a reaction, scientists can determine the conditions under which a reaction will be spontaneous and the direction in which it will proceed.

5. How can entropy be increased in a system?

Entropy can be increased in a system by increasing the temperature, increasing the disorder or randomness of the system, or increasing the number of particles or energy states. For example, a solid has lower entropy than a liquid because the particles in a solid are more organized and have less freedom to move. By melting the solid, the particles become more disordered and the entropy increases. Another way to increase entropy is by introducing a catalyst, which increases the number of potential energy states and allows the reaction to proceed more quickly, increasing the disorder of the system.