Give all the 2x2 row echelon reduced matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a row echelon reduced matrix and the attempt to find all possible 2x2 row echelon reduced matrices. The individual suggests 7 possible matrices, but questions whether there are an infinite number. They also discuss the definition of row echelon reduced and how it applies to different examples.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Give all the possible 2x2 row echelon reduced matrices.

2. The attempt at a solution I thought about the matrices (0 0, 0 0), (1 0, 0 0), (0 1, 0 0), (0 0, 1 0), (1 0, 0 1), (0 1, 0 0), (0 0, 0 1). Where the "," inside the parenthesis means a change of row.
So in total I have found 7 matrices... is this right?
Hmm isn't there an infinity of them? Like for example (1 0, a, b) where a is different from 1.
As you see I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of "row echelon reduced"?

Hurkyl said:
What is the definition of "row echelon reduced"?

From my notes : Suppose A is an mxn matrix. A is row echelon reduced if : 1) A is row reduced,
2) If s=#(1≤i≤m such that A(i,.)= the zero vector) ≥1 and r=m-s, then A(i,.)= zero vector for all i ≥r+1.
3)If r=#(1≤i≤m such that A(im.) different from the zero vector) ≥1, then min(1≤j≤n such that A(1,j) different from 0) < min(1≤j≤n such that A(2,j) different from 0) < ...< min(1≤j≤n such that A(r,j) different from 0).

What I understand is that 3) makes the echelon condition. And I don't understand 2)... Or maybe a little. Does it says that if there are more than one null column, they must be on the right of the matrix? I guess no...

What that tells you is that (0 0, 1 0) , (0 0, 0 1), and (0 1, 1, 0) are not "row-reduced echelon matrices", the first two by (2) and the third by (3).

Thank you. I also checked out wikipedia's definition of what is a row-reduced echelon matrix and I found it more clearer than my notes. So thanks to both.

1. What is a 2x2 row echelon reduced matrix?

A 2x2 row echelon reduced matrix is a matrix with two rows and two columns that has been reduced to its simplest form, where all the elements below the main diagonal are zeros and the leading coefficient of each row is equal to 1.

2. How is a 2x2 row echelon reduced matrix different from a regular 2x2 matrix?

Unlike a regular 2x2 matrix, a row echelon reduced matrix has a specific structure where the leading coefficient of each row increases as you move down the matrix, and all the elements below the leading coefficient are zeros.

3. Why is it useful to have a 2x2 row echelon reduced matrix?

A row echelon reduced matrix is useful because it simplifies the matrix and makes it easier to perform operations such as finding the inverse or solving a system of equations. It also provides a clear visual representation of the matrix.

4. How do you create a 2x2 row echelon reduced matrix?

To create a 2x2 row echelon reduced matrix, you can use elementary row operations such as multiplying a row by a non-zero constant, swapping two rows, or adding a multiple of one row to another row. These operations are performed until the matrix is in its simplest form.

5. Is a 2x2 row echelon reduced matrix unique?

No, a 2x2 row echelon reduced matrix is not unique. There are many possible combinations of elementary row operations that can be used to reduce a matrix to its simplest form. However, all row echelon reduced matrices for a given matrix will have the same leading coefficients and zeros below the main diagonal.