1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Give all the 2x2 row echelon reduced matrices

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give all the possible 2x2 row echelon reduced matrices.

2. The attempt at a solution I thought about the matrices (0 0, 0 0), (1 0, 0 0), (0 1, 0 0), (0 0, 1 0), (1 0, 0 1), (0 1, 0 0), (0 0, 0 1). Where the "," inside the parenthesis means a change of row.
    So in total I have found 7 matrices... is this right?
    Hmm isn't there an infinity of them? Like for example (1 0, a, b) where a is different from 1.
    As you see I'm confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the definition of "row echelon reduced"?

4. Jan 18, 2009 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

From my notes : Suppose A is an mxn matrix. A is row echelon reduced if : 1) A is row reduced,
    2) If s=#(1≤i≤m such that A(i,.)= the zero vector) ≥1 and r=m-s, then A(i,.)= zero vector for all i ≥r+1.
    3)If r=#(1≤i≤m such that A(im.) different from the zero vector) ≥1, then min(1≤j≤n such that A(1,j) different from 0) < min(1≤j≤n such that A(2,j) different from 0) < ...< min(1≤j≤n such that A(r,j) different from 0).

What I understand is that 3) makes the echelon condition. And I don't understand 2)... Or maybe a little. Does it says that if there are more than one null column, they must be on the right of the matrix? I guess no...

5. Jan 19, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What that tells you is that (0 0, 1 0) , (0 0, 0 1), and (0 1, 1, 0) are not "row-reduced echelon matrices", the first two by (2) and the third by (3).

6. Jan 19, 2009 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you. I also checked out wikipedia's definition of what is a row-reduced echelon matrix and I found it more clearer than my notes. So thanks to both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?