1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given a plane wave characterized by Ex and By

1. Aug 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a plane wave characterized by Ex , By , propagating in the positive z-direction,

[itex]E[/itex] [itex]=[/itex] [itex]E[/itex][itex]0[/itex][itex]sin[/itex][[itex]\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/itex][itex](z-ct)[/itex]][itex]\widehat{x}[/itex]

show that it is possible to take scalar potential ϕ = 0 . Find a possible
    vector potential A for which the Lorentz gauge is satisfied.

2. Relevant equations

i)[itex]E[/itex]= [itex]-∇[/itex][itex]\varphi[/itex]

ii)[itex]∇E[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\rho}{ε}[/itex]

iii)[itex]B[/itex] = [itex]∇×A[/itex]

iv)[itex]∇A[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-1}{c^2}[/itex][itex]\frac{\delta\varphi}{\delta t}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So basically I am thinking combining the above first two equations which results in the laplace operator but I am not sure how this ties into phi equating to 0. Then there is equation 4 the Lorenz gauge and I assume values of A and phi are plugged in to see if it balances. But its the first step i am not sure on. How to show the scalar potential can be zero..

[itex]-∇^2[/itex][itex]\varphi[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-\rho}{\epsilon}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For any vector potential and scalar potential combination to be valid, the resulting fields must simultaneously satisfy all of Maxwell's equations, so I would say that the other 2 Maxwell's equations would also be "relevant equations" for this problem. :wink:

Also, the divergence of a field [itex]\mathbf{E}[/itex] is usually written as [itex]\mathbf{\nabla} \cdot \mathbf{E}[/itex], not [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}\mathbf{E}[/itex] (which is how one writes the gradient of a vector field, which is a 2nd rank tensor).

Now, in general you have [itex]\mathbf{E}= -\mathbf{ \nabla } \varPhi -\frac{ \partial \mathbf{A} }{ \partial t}[/itex] (this should also have been listed as a relevant equation :wink:). What do you get for [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex] when you choose [itex]\varPhi = 0 [/itex]? Does it satisfy the Lorentz Gauge? Does the resulting [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex]-field, together with the given [itex]\mathbf{E}[/itex]-field satisfy all of Maxwell's equations?

4. Aug 3, 2012 #3
    Yeah I knew the correct way to write divergence but couldn't see the middle dot symbol anywhere haha :) thanks.

Okay that makes sense, there are a list of four maxwell equations that can be manipulated and I need to make sure all are satisfied when I pick values of A and phi. The question states that I have to do this with phi equating to zero.

Sooo plug chug and see what happens? Finishing with my equation 'iv)'?

======

[itex]E[/itex] = [itex]E[/itex]0[itex]sin[/itex][[itex]\frac{2π}{λ}[/itex][itex](z−ct)]xˆ[/itex]

[itex]E = -∇\Phi -\frac{\delta A}{\delta t}[/itex] NB. Set '[itex]\Phi[/itex]' = 0 so;

[itex]E = -\frac{\delta A}{\delta t}[/itex] and then

[itex]-∫E.\delta t = A[/itex] and then

[itex] B = ∇×A, ∇.B = 0 = ∇.(∇×A)[/itex] which will test if B is correct and finally both values into Lorenz gauge to equal 0?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  5. Aug 3, 2012 #4
    If my understanding is correct then after I have took the negative integral of E and then found the curl of it I get a cosine function in the y-axis as I would expect but the following divergence of this function would give me a scalar function instead of the zero I am looking for?

EDIT***
    Never mind no it doesn't haha. I think I have solved it. Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  6. Aug 3, 2012 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No problem, the [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] code for it is just "\cdot". And for the partial derivative symbol, it is "\partial".

Not quite sure what [itex]-∫E.\delta t = A[/itex] means (how does one integrate with respect to a partial differential?), don't you mean [itex]\mathbf{A} = -\int \mathbf{E} dt[/itex]?

Other than that it looks like you've probably done everything correctly (you didn't actually post what you got for [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex] or [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex], so I can't be 100% sure). Just 2 things that you should keep in mind:

(1) Make sure you check all 4 of Maxwell's equations - you made no mention of checking the curl and divergence of [itex]\mathbf{E}[/itex]

(2) Is your choice of [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex] unique? What about the "constant" of integration, are there restrictions placed on it by Maxwell's equations or the Lorentz gauge condition?

7. Aug 4, 2012 #6
    Thank you for the correct Latex code and I did indeed mean [itex] A = - ∫Edt [/itex].

For [itex]A[/itex] I got [itex]\frac{\lambda}{2\pi}[/itex][itex]E[/itex][itex]0[/itex][itex]cos[\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}(z-ct)]\widehat{x}[/itex]

For [itex]B[/itex] I got [itex]-E[/itex][itex]0[/itex][itex]sin[\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}(z-ct)]\widehat{y}[/itex]

And thank you for all your help I shall check all of Maxwell's equations and integration constants.

Kind Regards Hilly

8. Aug 4, 2012 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are missing a factor of [itex]\frac{1}{c}[/itex], and you'll want to recheck the sign of B.

You're welcome! And remember the integration "constant" is not just a scalar in this case, and can depend on position (just not time).

9. Aug 4, 2012 #8
    I am in desperate need of a warning before posting :), the factor of [itex]\frac{1}{c}[/itex] I do have in my answer, I merely forgot it in this post :)whoops!

And double checking the sign of [itex]B[/itex] I came to the same negative sine hmm.. Am I going wrong somewhere?

The operator [itex]∇×A[/itex] ends up as equating to [itex]\frac{\partial{Ax}}{\partial{z}}[/itex]..

1)everything before the cosine has no variable z so is treated as constant
    2)the function inside cosine is [itex]\frac{2z\pi}{\lambda} - \frac{2ct\pi}{\lambda}[/itex]
    3)so second part has no z and first part has derivative [itex]\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/itex]
    4)cosine changes to negative sine?

10. Aug 4, 2012 #9

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I meant A (and subsequently B)

11. Aug 4, 2012 #10
    Right you are, :) thank you again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook