Given a wave function, predict the result

In summary: If you measure ##L_z = -2 \hbar##, then you know that after measurement the wave function is ##\propto e^{-2i\phi}##. Before measurement, the wave function was some superposition of these two possibilities.
spacetimedude

Homework Statement

The wave function of a particle is known to have the form $$u(r,\theta,\phi)=AR(r)f(\theta)\cos(2\phi)$$ where ##f## is an unknown function of ##\theta##. What can be predicted about the results of measuring
(a) the z-component of angular momentum;
(b) the square of the angular momentum?

Homework Equations

##cos(2\phi)={exp(2i\phi)+exp(-2i\phi)}/2##
Also, I know the spherical harmonics and the corresponding eigenvalues.

The solutions are:
a) ##L_z=+/- 2## with equal probability.
b) ##l\geq 2## but nothing can be said if we don't know ##f(\theta)##

where l denotes the angular momentum quantum number.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I am trying to make sense of what the physical interpretation of the two exponential functions is in the wave function. Why is ##L_z=+/- 2##? Is u a linear combination of two states, ##exp(2i\phi)## and ##exp(-2i\phi)## and do the value -2 and 2 indicate the angular momentum? If I act some operator to u, do we only consider one of the exponential state? I am a bit rusty with the meaning of a wave function.

The second one, I just know that $$\hat{L^2} |l,m>=\hbar^2 l(l+1)|l,m>$$.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
spacetimedude said:
Is u a linear combination of two states, ##exp(2i\phi)## and ##exp(-2i\phi)##
Can't you write u as a linear combination?

spacetimedude said:
and do the value -2 and 2 indicate the angular momentum?
No, they represent the eigenvalues of the ##\hat{L}_z## operator, which correspond to the projection of the angular momentum on the z axis.

spacetimedude said:
If I act some operator to u, do we only consider one of the exponential state?
No, you would have to act on the full wave function. But you don't actually need to do that, as the probability of measuring the system in a given ##|l, m \rangle## is
$$
\langle l, m | u \rangle
$$
and you need to figure out for which ##|l ,m \rangle## the result would be something other than 0.
spacetimedude said:
The second one, I just know that $$\hat{L^2} |l,m>=\hbar^2 l(l+1)|l,m>$$.
Since the ##|l ,m \rangle## are spherical harmonics, it would probably help for you to look at a table of spherical harmonic functions to familiarize yourself with their form in terms of l and m.

DrClaude said:
Can't you write u as a linear combination?
Yes, by expanding the two exponential terms. But I thought $$u(r,\theta,\phi)=AR(r)f(\theta)\exp(2i\phi)/2+AR(r)f(\theta)\exp(-2i\phi)/2$$ represents just one of all the possible state. Or is each term in the right hand side representing a different state (is this the superposition?)? I don't see how one term vanish while the other one stays when the wave function collapses.

And thank you. I understand the rest.

EDIT: Sorry, I still don't see why Lz=+/- 2. They come from reading the exponential terms, correct? How are they the eigenvalues of Lz?

Lets start with
spacetimedude said:
I still don't see why Lz=+/- 2. They come from reading the exponential terms, correct? How are they the eigenvalues of Lz?

The angular momentum operators in spherical coordinates are
$$
\hat{L}_z = -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi} \\
\hat{L}^2 = - \hbar^2 \left[ \frac{1}{\sin \theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} \left( \sin \theta \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} \right) + \frac{1}{\sin^2 \theta} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \phi^2} \right]
$$
So it is obvious that for ##\hat{L}_z##, one needs only look at the ##\phi## part of the wave function. The eigenstates of ##\hat{L}_z## are ##e^{i m \phi} / \sqrt{2\pi}## (with ##m## an integer). One can make use of the orthogonality property
$$
\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2 \pi} e^{-i m' \phi} e^{i m \phi} d\phi = \delta_{m,m'}
$$

So you you make a measurement of ##\hat{L}_z##, after the measurement the wave function will be in an eigenstate of ##\hat{L}_z##, so the ##\phi## part will be ##e^{i m \phi}##. To see which value of ##m## are possible, you make use of the orthogonality property, and thus the only possibilities will be ##m=2## or ##m=-2##.

spacetimedude said:
But I thought
$$u(r,\theta,\phi)=AR(r)f(\theta)\exp(2i\phi)/2+AR(r)f(\theta)\exp(-2i\phi)/2$$
represents just one of all the possible state.
This is the state of the system before measurement. It represents a single state, but it is a superposition from the point of view of the eigenstates of ##\hat{L}_z##. In other words, since it is not an eigenstate of ##\hat{L}_z##, it has to be a superposition of those eigenstates.

spacetimedude said:
I don't see how one term vanish while the other one stays when the wave function collapses.
That's just the way it is. If you measure ##L_z = 2 \hbar##, then you know that after measurement the wave function is ##\propto e^{2i\phi}##.

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a system. It is used to predict the probability of finding a particle in a particular position or state.

2. How do you determine the result of a wave function?

The result of a wave function can be determined by using the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wave function evolves over time. The wave function can also be used to calculate various observable quantities, such as energy and momentum, which can then be compared to experimental results.

3. Can a wave function predict the exact outcome of a measurement?

No, a wave function can only predict the probability of a measurement outcome. The actual result of a measurement is determined by a random process, and the wave function only gives us information about the likelihood of each possible outcome.

4. How does the uncertainty principle relate to predicting the result of a wave function?

The uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty, plays a role in predicting the result of a wave function. This is because the wave function describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular state, and the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less certain we are about its momentum and vice versa.

5. Can a wave function be used to predict the behavior of macroscopic objects?

No, wave functions are only applicable to the quantum world and are not accurate for describing the behavior of macroscopic objects. This is because the effects of quantum mechanics are negligible at the macroscopic level and classical mechanics is a more accurate description of their behavior.