Particle in a cylindrically symmetric potential (Quantum mechanics)

In summary, the Hamiltonian operator for the three-state system is easy to determine and it has a common eigenvector basis. The wavefunction for the energy eigenstate is a product of two other wavefunctions and the wavefunction for free movement in z is independent of the well in ##\rho,\phi##.
Stylord
Homework Statement
Let ##\rho , \phi , z## be the cylindrical coordinates of a spinless particle (##x=\rho \times \cos(\phi) ,y=\rho \times \sin(\phi) ; \rho \geq 0 , 0 \leq \phi \lt 2\pi##. Assume that the potential energy of this particle depends only on ##\rho##, and not on ##\phi## and z.
a. Write, in cylindrical coordinates, the differential operator associated with the Hamiltonian.Show that H commutes with Lz, and Pz.Show from this that the wave functions associated with the stationary states of the particle can be chosen in the form:
##\phi_{n,m,k}(\rho,\phi,z)=f_{n,m}(p) e^{im\phi} e^{ikz}##
Relevant Equations
See below
Hi, everyone.
Please check the following questions (extracted of the cohen Tanpoudji)
jhh.png

for the first question, here my Hamiltonian operator.

jhh.png

It's easy to see that it commutes with Lz and Pz.
Now we can determine a common eigenvector basis for these 3 operators.
For the angular part we need to solve
Lzg(théta,phi)=m##\hbar##g(théta,phi)(1)
Pzg(théta,phi)=k##\hbar##g(théta,phi)(2)
The resolution of the differential equation (1) and (2) gives us the angular part we see on the homework statement.
for the part ##e^{im*\phi}##, the wave function needs to be continuous in all the space so ##e^{2im*\pi}##=1,consequently, m need to be an integer
for the part ##e^{ikz}## I can't determine a condition and I don't know which values it can take.
So if someone have an hint thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In z direction the state is free wave which has momentum eigenvalue and energy eigenvalue.
[tex]E=\frac{k^2\hbar^2}{2m}[/tex]

If the wave function was ##e^{ikz}## and if I injected this in the schrödinger equation, yes I will obtain this result. But the wavefunction is ##e^{ikz}e^{im\phi}f(\rho)## and if I write the eigenvalue equation of the Hamiltonian I will not obtain this, so I don't understand why we can say that. Could you enlighten me please ?:biggrin:

Stylord said:
For the part ##e^{ikz}##, I can't determine a condition, and I don't know which values it can take.
So if someone have an hint thanks in advance!
There is no boundary condition that restricts the value of ##k##.

Stylord said:
If the wave function was eikz and if I injected this in the schrödinger equation, yes I will obtain this result. But the wavefunction is eikzeimϕf(ρ) and if I write the eigenvalue equation of the Hamiltonian I will not obtain this, so I don't understand why we can say that. Could you enlighten me please ?:biggrin:
Hamiltonian is written as sum of
[tex]H=H(\rho,\phi)+H(z)[/tex]
Wavefunction of energy eigenstate is written as product of
[tex]\psi=\eta(\rho,\phi)\xi(z)[/tex]
[tex]H\psi =\xi H(\rho,\phi)\eta +\eta H(z)\xi=(E(\rho,\phi)+E(z))\xi \eta=(E(\rho,\phi)+E(z))\psi[/tex]
Round quantum well in ##\rho,\phi## and free movement in z are independent. Sum of their energy is the system energy, e.g. ground state of the well and kinetic energy of ##\frac{p_z^2}{2m}##.

Last edited:
Ohhh it's a very good idea ! Now I Can finish the exercice, Thank you !

1. What is a particle in a cylindrically symmetric potential?

A particle in a cylindrically symmetric potential is a system in quantum mechanics where a particle is confined to move in a potential that has cylindrical symmetry. This means that the potential energy of the particle only depends on the distance from the center of the cylinder, and not on the direction of motion.

2. What is the Schrödinger equation for a particle in a cylindrically symmetric potential?

The Schrödinger equation for a particle in a cylindrically symmetric potential is a partial differential equation that describes the time evolution of the wave function of the particle. It takes into account the potential energy of the particle and its kinetic energy, and is used to calculate the probability of finding the particle in a certain location at a given time.

3. What are some examples of cylindrically symmetric potentials?

Some examples of cylindrically symmetric potentials include the infinite cylindrical well, the harmonic oscillator potential, and the Coulomb potential. These potentials have cylindrical symmetry because they only depend on the distance from the center of the cylinder, and not on the direction of motion.

4. How does the energy spectrum of a particle in a cylindrically symmetric potential differ from that of a particle in a spherically symmetric potential?

The energy spectrum of a particle in a cylindrically symmetric potential is different from that of a particle in a spherically symmetric potential because the two systems have different symmetries. In a cylindrically symmetric potential, the energy levels are quantized in both the radial and angular directions, while in a spherically symmetric potential, the energy levels are only quantized in the radial direction.

5. How does the wave function of a particle in a cylindrically symmetric potential change with time?

The wave function of a particle in a cylindrically symmetric potential changes with time according to the time-dependent Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the evolution of the wave function over time due to the potential energy of the particle. The wave function can also be affected by external forces or interactions with other particles.