1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given conductivity, calculate E, D, and P vectors

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The gap between a pair of parallel infinite copper plates extends from z = 0 to z = W > 0 and is originally occupied by vacuum (ε0, μ0). The plates carry equal and oppositely signed surface charge densities and as a consequence we have a constant electric field E = −4ˆz V/m in vacuum in the gap region.

What would be the new equilibrium values of E, D, and P in the gap region if some amount
    of salt were dissolved in the fluid in the gap (64ε0) to raise its conductivity to σ = 4 S/m (conductivity of sea water)?

State the values of E, D, and P after a steady-state equilibrium is reached and briey explain your answer.

2. Relevant equations

9048aa1e501c7b9e6f7f758b10c490f7.png

57619c6a86c79e56ac806faf21502c90.png

9cab6787646062d6e658cd1e83ad468f.png

39adeb66b53fc1be92dda9c01386c3a9.png

DE0*E0+P

P=polarization vector

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the equation J = σE, but I do not know how to relate this to D and P, since I am not given J in the problem

Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try to look at this problem qualitatively first. What does Ohm's Law ([itex]\textbf{J}=\sigma\textbf{E}[/itex]) tell you the current will be when the salt is first added? What does that current do to the amount of charge on each plate? What effect does that have on the electric field in the gap?....Can you guess what the electric field will be when equilibrium is reached?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook