1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given energy, calculate electrons emitted

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1

ill

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the maximum number of electrons that can be freed by a burst of light whose total energy is 1.16 µJ?

2. Relevant equations
    E=hv
    v=c/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no problem calculating frequencies and wavelengths, my issue is how can I use these numbers to relate to number of electrons emitted. Our book tells us that light with a frequency of 4.60X10^14 s^-1 or greater will cause cesium metal to emit electrons...the above frequency comes out to 1.75X10^27 meaning it will emit electrons....what I need is some equation that relates electron emission to any of the aforementioned quantities I can find.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Undoubtedly, the 1.16 uJ is not concentrated in a single photon; it's spread out over many photons. What frequency should the photons be so that they can liberate the maximum number of electrons?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook