Given ∆Hf = -607 kJ/mol and S = 417 J, find ∆H and ∆S

  • Thread starter Thread starter AMan24
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
AMan24
Messages
58
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Ni (s) + 4 CO(g) ↔ Ni(CO)4(g)

For Ni(CO)4(g), ∆Hf = -607 kJ/mol and S = 417 J/mol⋅K at 298 K. Using these values and data in the Appendix of your text, calculate ∆H and ∆S for the above reaction.

Homework Equations


no idea

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know how to solve this, because my lab class somehow ended up a week ahead of lecture, so i haven't even learned thermodynamics yet.

I think i found the answers online but i need to show work.
∆S°= -409.5 J/K
∆H° =−160.8 kJ

I'm trying to look up formulas right now and find something i can use.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
AMan24 said:
I don't know how to solve this, because my lab class somehow ended up a week ahead of lecture, so i haven't even learned thermodynamics yet.
Don't you have a textbook?

We can't do your work for you, but have a look at http://chem.libretexts.org/Core/Phy...tions/Enthalpy/Standard_Enthalpy_Of_Formation
https://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/majors/tutorialnotefiles/enthalpy.htm
https://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/majors/tutorialnotefiles/gibbs.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hae can you define it clearly ∆H° is for and also∆s°
 
Timakki said:
Can you send the questions image

heres the image if it helps

boBmFEm.png
 
DrClaude said:
Don't you have a textbook?
We can't do your work for you, but have a look at

Yeah i don't want to come across like I'm hoping someone will do the work for me, i really try to avoid posting things like this.

I do have a textbook, but i didn't want to read the entire chapter in one night so i could answer one question. I was hoping someone could just tell me the equations and i could plug them in.

I'll take a look at the links you posted tomorrow.