Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given S, T, prove that ST and TS have the same eigenvalues.

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    I need help starting/doing this proof.
    Suppose S,T are Linear Operators on a Finite Dimensional Vector Space V. Prove that ST and TS have the same eigenvalues.
    A linear operator is a linear map from a vector space to itself.
    thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

do you know what a characteristic polynomial is?

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3
    how can u prove that????
    S T must sutysfy more conditions... that u didint typed???

wich ones??

5. Mar 5, 2008 #4
    thanks but I think I have the answer. If you pick an arbitrary vector in V and define T(u) = au and S(u) = bu, where a,b are eigenvalues for u, then applying S to T(u) and T to S(u) will give the wanted results.

6. Mar 5, 2008 #5
    yes and what is the answer???

[S,T]=0

think abou it... very usefull in QM
    ciao

7. Mar 5, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But you can't "define" that because you want to show it is true for any T and S. What if T or S don't have eigenvalues?

8. Mar 5, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And completely meaningless since you haven't bothered to define "[S, T]"!

9. Mar 5, 2008 #8
    isn't it true that all linear operators on a finite dimensional vector space have eigenvalues? I don't really know what [S, T] is though.

10. Mar 6, 2008 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it is not. Linear operators on a vector space over the complex numbers always have eigenvalues. Linear operators on a vector space over the real numbers may not have (real) eigenvalues.

I took Marco84 to task for not defining it [S, T]. The standard definition is [S, T]= ST- TS but I really don't see how it will help here. ST and TS always have the same eigenvalues but not the same eigenvectors!

Suppose [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue for ST. That is, there is some non-zero vector v such that STv= [itex]\lambda[/itex]v. Let u= Tv. Then Su= STv= [itex]\lambda[/itex]v. What happens if you apply T to Su? That shows that [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue for TS as long as u is not 0. Now suppose u= 0.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  11. Mar 7, 2008 #10

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i seem to have constructed counter examples from the simplest non trivial 3x3 jordan forms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?