Given the LIGO results lets use some humor

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Humor Ligo
In summary, the conversation is about a suggestion to use an xkcd comic to help explain complex scientific topics, particularly the LIGO results. The speaker also expresses frustration with the lack of understanding among their coworkers and suggests that the topic would be more popular if it involved a Kardashian.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
http://xkcd.com/1642/

I've made a suggestion like this before. The LIGO results are wonderful, but the questions from "out there" sometimes display a level of understanding best dealt with the xkcd.com comic linked above. My opinion only.

I've made this suggestion before. With regard to the sad (IMO) level of understanding I see in my "educated" coworkers about these kinds of topics, I would humbly suggest that this comic works well. Sigh.
Too bad the investigators were not all named 'whatever Kardashian'. Then it would play a lot better -- out there somewhere on the internet.

Last edited:
Likes Borg and nsaspook
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you really mean

Likes dlgoff and OmCheeto

1. What is LIGO and why is it significant?

LIGO stands for Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory and it is a scientific collaboration that aims to detect gravitational waves. The recent results from LIGO have confirmed the existence of gravitational waves, which were predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity and are considered a major breakthrough in the field of physics.

2. Can you explain the humor behind the phrase "Given the LIGO results"?

The phrase "Given the LIGO results" is a play on words, as "given" can refer to both the results being provided and the physical concept of giving or transferring energy. This is a humorous nod to the fact that LIGO detects gravitational waves, which are essentially ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by massive objects giving off energy.

3. How does humor play a role in scientific communication?

Humor can be a useful tool in scientific communication as it can make complex concepts more accessible and engaging for a wider audience. It can also help to break the ice and create a more relaxed and open atmosphere for discussions and presentations.

4. Is there any scientific evidence that supports the use of humor in research?

Yes, there is evidence that suggests that humor can have positive effects on cognition, memory, and creativity, which are all important aspects of the scientific process. Additionally, using humor can help scientists to form stronger connections and collaborations with their peers.

5. Are there any potential downsides to using humor in a scientific context?

Like any form of communication, humor can be subjective and what one person finds funny may not be amusing to another. This can potentially create misunderstandings or even offend some individuals. It is important to use humor responsibly and consider the audience when using it in a scientific setting.