1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Glue a thin sheet of copper to a cork?

1. Aug 8, 2009 #1
    Does anyone know what kind of glue i can use to glue a thin sheet of copper to a cork?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Adhesive

What kind of load (tensile, shear, etc) and what kind of conditions (air, water, saline, hot, cold..) does the joint need to withstand?

4. Aug 8, 2009 #3

negitron

Science Advisor

Contact cement works well under most conditions, provided the application doesn't require exposure to high temperatures or certain solvents. As with all adhesives, surface preparation is key; clean and dry is the general rule.

5. Aug 8, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I would tend to agree with Negitron on this. Contact cement is incredible stuff, as long as it isn't in a really inhospitable environment. Silicone sealant works well, as do basic LaPage's or Elmer's carpentry glue (although I'm not sure about their metal-bonding properties). If there aren't physical clearance issues, I'd also consider pop rivets with strain-relief washers.

6. Aug 9, 2009 #5

Will cement glue hinder the conductivity of copper at all?

7. Aug 9, 2009 #6

negitron

Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean here. Glue will not conduct current from one piece of copper to another, however, it will have no effect on the conductivity of a single piece of copper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook